Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

REAR

Thank you..... Mr. Mc

Post by REAR » Mon May 11, 2020 5:53 pm

One of Kartings greatest assets.

R.E.A.R.

Dick Teal
Vintage Karting items owned: 1959 Mak-Kart, 1960Fox 60L, 1961 Fox (2), 1962 Fox, 1963 Fox, 1964 Fox, Margay New Breed
User Agreement: Yes

Re: Thank you..... Mr. Mc

Post by Dick Teal » Tue May 12, 2020 9:25 am

Ann & I were offered a free trip to see the bridge and view the property. We decided that we couldn't afford it and passed. Should have taken the flight.

Dick Teal
Vintage Karting items owned: 1959 Mak-Kart, 1960Fox 60L, 1961 Fox (2), 1962 Fox, 1963 Fox, 1964 Fox, Margay New Breed

Post by Dick Teal » Tue May 12, 2020 7:49 pm

Saw a production Paxton supercharger on a Studebaker in Janesville, WI in the early 60's. They did a very neat installation and it was fast. Unfortunately I never got to drive it.

Terry Bentley
Vintage Karting items owned: Kavalla Rupp Hornet Bug Margay Cates, Ala Kart

Post by Terry Bentley » Fri May 15, 2020 12:54 am

That looks like the very first production model chainsaw. The model 3-25, type 1. It was 4.71 cubic inches, rotary valve, produced 3 horsepower and weighed 25 pounds. The cylinder was chrome plated on first year production. It is also gear reduction. The starter was typical recoil type but with steel cable instead of nylon rope. Only manufactured for one year. The second generation model 3-25 had cast iron bore. Now you know.

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Fri May 15, 2020 10:48 am

My Pop was a Mac saw distributor from the early fifties. The housing boom in Florida was in full swing, and the folks clearing the big palmetto patches and trees wanted a "light" reliable saw that would get close to the ground. We sold a ton of the Mac 33 and 35 saws to these guys. By today's standard, they weren't light, but they were considered light in those days, and they were certainly sturdy. Pop knew Mr. Mac, and spoke with him on the phone many times. I remember Pop calling Mr. Mac to bitch at him that a local guy who had been an engineer at Power Products had obtained a pre-production AH 58, and it was kicking Pop's Mc5 all over the place. Mr. Mac told Pop not to worry, he had the solution. Within a week and a half, we had a pre-production Mc6 conversion kit to put into the Mc5. Pop didn't get outrun by that '58 again. That Mc5/6 ended up on the kart of our across-the-road neighbor, Lanny Rothery. If you look at my avatar on the "Vintage Karts" forum, the third kart back is Lanny's converted Bug with the Mc6 converted from an Mc5 on it. Lanny won a bunch of Junior races, and the Brevard County Jr. Championship with that 40" wheelbase Bug. The head on that Mc6 never did get turned around like it was supposed to be. You can see the plug on the exhaust side. Pop got one of the first stroker kits for the Mc10 East of Cali the same way. He called Bob Mac and said that he was getting outrun by my Mc6. Mr. Mac sent Pop the stroker kit in less than two weeks. Pop began kicking my butt. Wonderful man, Bob McCulloch! Ted