Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Jay Deisman
Vintage Karting items owned: 1960 McColluch MC-5 powered single engine Go-Kart
User Agreement: Yes

Newbie needs help with MC-5 powered Kart

Post by Jay Deisman » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:40 pm

Hi guys,
I’d like some help on where to start with my late 50s-early 60s go-kart.
It was my grandmas when she was a little girl growing up in central California. She raced it at a local track and I believe the frame was custom built locally.
It’s very complete and I’d like to get it back on the track after years of not running. I think it ran and drove last in the ‘90s, but my dad said the carb would keep flooding after a reed got saturated or something.
It’s powered by a single MC-5. I’m not sure where to start, I’m assuming the engine might need a complete rebuild?
I’m sorry for the upside down pics, it’s hanging from the ceiling of my garage.
Attachments
861D2018-7B1D-4236-9E47-DE003FA3B6D5.jpeg
F4527BAD-C79B-4F57-8ADB-C425E494DCC4.jpeg
C6517510-8BC1-4559-AD05-FA9CF958F1B6.jpeg
69C654C9-0050-472B-9B2E-DF81256800E9.jpeg
91ABA9A3-2779-4A05-9A9D-B6BD775D96B7.jpeg
4CA52DE3-78F8-4648-B186-20A1EA93E3D7.jpeg
F112EBAB-E9A4-4175-BECC-8376DF707EC7.jpeg

Rob Voska

Re: Newbie needs help with MC-5 powered Kart

Post by Rob Voska » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:53 pm

Man THAT IS COOL! :ugeek: The old photos are fantastic.

Terry Ives is in CA to help with the engine. Don't even try to turn it over. Just unbolt it and send it to him. Contact info is in parts and resources.

Is the clutch or gear missing? Kart looks complete. A good cleaning before you even begin to make any decisions. Check frame for cracks etc..... Keep posting as you make progress.

REAR

Post by REAR » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:20 pm

Jay,

Welcome aboard.

The phone number for Terry Ives is incorrect in the P+R section. Try 916-201-7707. Email is good.

Don't hesitate to ask questions.

R.E.A.R.

roger santee

Post by roger santee » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:38 pm

Neat kart, looks like a fun project.

Jay Deisman
Vintage Karting items owned: 1960 McColluch MC-5 powered single engine Go-Kart

Post by Jay Deisman » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:40 pm

Rob Voska wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:53 pm
Man THAT IS COOL! :ugeek: The old photos are fantastic.

Terry Ives is in CA to help with the engine. Don't even try to turn it over. Just unbolt it and send it to him. Contact info is in parts and resources.

Is the clutch or gear missing? Kart looks complete. A good cleaning before you even begin to make any decisions. Check frame for cracks etc..... Keep posting as you make progress.
Just sent Mr. Ives an email, thanks !
Yes the kart is complete all the way around, the frame does have some cracks but I'm not afraid of welding them shut.
I doubt I'll ever actually seriously race it, I would like to preserve it as much as possible but have it in driving condition to have some fun with. Its a little piece of cool family history, it even has a large water slide decal on the back of the seat from my great grandpas Flying A Service station that he had at the time.

Terry Bentley
Vintage Karting items owned: Kavalla Rupp Hornet Bug Margay Cates, Ala Kart

Post by Terry Bentley » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:07 am

That kart is likely one of many built in SoCal around 1959. There are common components that may help identify the manufacturer. Those knock offs are cool.

Fortunately the Mc 5 is one model there are plenty of parts available. It is the most common block used in chainsaws with a removable head. Pistons are available new and any con rod except MC7/30 will interchange. Cranks are also common to find. Even if you blew holes in that engine, wouldnt take much to bring back original. Just about everything on that motor is readily available, except for the carb.

The newer Mc 49C/E series are almost identical with exception to not having a removable head. Otherwise everything can be swapped between the two.

I have a pair of Mc 5's that have been discretely altered to Mc 6's. Used to be a simple parts swap when Mc6 cranks could be had. But fairly easy conversion to do with the right equipment. I have done a bunch of them and built up plenty of Mc6's. Eventually plan to do a complete write-up with what parts are still readily available out there.

That carb is magnesium and came on most Mc10 engines. Taken from some early model chainsaws. D-30, D-36 and D-44/55 are the ones I know of. Parts were scarce to non existent a few years ago. There was someone that planned to remanufacture diaphragms at one time, but never heard anything past a rumor.

The stock carb for your Mc 5 would be a Tillotson HL63A. Right off a chainsaw. Even tho both carbs had same size venturi, the Walbro magnesium carb was one many chose to use. It had a larger throttle bore and easy to tune. It also had a good history running on the Mc 10's. Well, long as you didnt run alcohol thu it.

That carb is one thing I would replace with a new Tillotson. Any newer gas model that was legal for stock foreign engines. From an HL 227, 250, 304, 307, and 324. There are plenty of other new models available that are all basically the same. They are very reasonable in price. My personal favorite back when is the HL304. It is just a newer version of the model HL227 without that brass pulse tube stuck in the venturi.

The reed, may be either steel or phenolic. IIRC that petal is interchangeable with one off the large BDC carb reed assembly. If not broken can be flipped over and made good for some time. New ones should be easy to find. I am sure someone is repopping them. The later model reeds are much thinner and work better.

The ignition coil may need replacing if it is cracked. Not a big deal. Plenty of them out there. Might be lucky and just replace plug wire or boot.

Getting engine back to original yellow and new paint on the frame that kart will turn out nice.

I have a frame very similar to yours there. My plans are to bolt on two Clinton E-65 engines. It also has a dead axle. I am seriously thinking about adding a jackshaft to connect everything. This will simulate a live axle. Dont know how well its going to actually work, but that is what I am considering right now.

REAR

Post by REAR » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:35 am

Terry,

A MC-6 write-up would be great. Sure everyone would appreciate it.

Wish more would share there projects.

R.E.A.R.

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:12 pm

Scott Kneisel's "standard" series Mac rebuild article is both authoritative and complete. It applies to Mc5 and the rest of the standards, with exception of the late engines with ball bearing PTO, and also with exception of the thick rings on the Mc5. I see no reason for a Mc5 specific article. I have Scott's article on my computer in the event I need to rebuild a "standard" engine. I hadn't rebuilt a standard engine since 1963, but when I wanted to build my mc5, I used Scott's article with no difficulty.
P.S., if someone wants to write a build article, do one on the old West Bend "round" engines! The factory service manual is useless! Ted