Seeking info on the Bill Matthews exhaust pipes like those on Terry Sullivan's Kart

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Tom Browning
Vintage Karting items owned: Vintage dirt kart, Vintage Minibikes
User Agreement: Yes

Seeking info on the Bill Matthews exhaust pipes like those on Terry Sullivan's Kart

Post by Tom Browning » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:38 am

Like the title says, I'm trying to find out about these pipes. What were they originally meant for? Bill Matthews was a bicycle accessory company that did some minibikes in the early 60s, and from what I can figure out, the design was bought out by Steens somewhere between 1962 and 1965. There are brochure ads for the bikes out there, and some with Clinton 2 strokes, but none showing the pipes. I've gotten a couple of the pipes from a guy that reprod them for someone who had an original. I'm guessing that guy was Terry. I have 2 Matthews Minibikes that at this point are the only 2 like them out there.
Attachments
TBO%202016%20034_zpseocwonob.jpg

Terry Sullivan
Vintage Karting items owned: 4 Bugs, including the Wasp bought by my Dad in 1959. Many Clintons and a few Macs

Re: Seeking info on the Bill Matthews exhaust pipes like those on Terry Sullivan's Kart

Post by Terry Sullivan » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:16 am

Tom,

I may have a Bill Matthews ad that shows them somewhere in my pile of magazines.
I didn't do the copies and I probably bought a few from the same guy.
I'm sure Bill modeled them after the megaphone exhaust that Clinton put on the E65.
I don't remember if the ones from Bill had the modified flange that allows them to bolt onto an A490 or an E65.
Here is the standard E65 megaphone.
E65 megaphone.jpg
E65 megaphone.jpg (19.09 KiB) Viewed 4749 times

Tom Browning
Vintage Karting items owned: Vintage dirt kart, Vintage Minibikes

Re: Seeking info on the Bill Matthews exhaust pipes like those on Terry Sullivan's Kart

Post by Tom Browning » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:17 am

Thanks for the reply Terry. I'd love to see the ad if you ever run across it. I'm really just intrigued that he actually did them. He was primarily just a bicycle accessory manufacturer that jumped into the minibike game when they were hot like many others who were already in a similar manufacturing industry, but none of the minibike ads show the pipe although some did come with Clinton 2 strokes. He obviously got out of minibikes as fast as he got in because there aren't any. I'm really surprised at the lack of info on the internet for his company in general, and just as surprised at how many Rocket cycle ads there are on ebay.

Here's the bike with the Matthews pipe...this one was done in stainless. I just got another one made of aluminum too.
Attachments
20180206_161534.jpg

Russ Smith
Vintage Karting items owned: 59 BugWasp; 60 GoKart800; Simplex: 60 MKII, 62 MKVI; 69 BugStinger; 67 LilIndian Minibike.

Post by Russ Smith » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:02 pm

I've seen those Panther exhausts show up on eBay at regular intervals.