Yazoo dragster

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Mark Poos
Vintage Karting items owned: Bug , Dart, margay expert
User Agreement: Yes

Yazoo dragster

Post by Mark Poos » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:01 pm

Hello everyone, an old hot rod friend of mine from Illinois found and restored they Yazoo dragster Kart. He has offered it to me as he would like to pass it on to someone who is into vintage bikes and karts. Wondering about an approximate value as he is offered it to me for 1500. If it's inappropriate to ask about values here just let me know and I will drop the matter. Please ignore the motor that is on it as it will come with the original Clinton. The motor will need restored as he didn't get to that. There's a video of this actual Kart, before it was restored, running on YouTube. I'm sure the motor was original to the Kart. He thinks it's a 1958? I'm not really into the old push carts but hate to Let It Go if it has any value or interest in the Vintage world or show arena. Any thoughts on what it might be worth or advice about purchasing it would be appreciated. The shipping on it will probably kill me from Illinois out to Phoenix LOL. Happy holidays to all mark
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-11-15-22-20-06.png

REAR

Re: Yazoo dragster

Post by REAR » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:23 pm

Mark,

That kart is a historic part of karting however its more of a 'fun' type of kart then a racer. It would be cool to have in your shop as a conversation piece but that is about as far as it goes. Performance would be on the shallow end.

As for value, guess its up to you and how bad do you want it.

Seen your from Phoenix, so is Ted Johnson from this site and a few other historical karters also.

R.E.A.R.

Mark Poos
Vintage Karting items owned: Bug , Dart, margay expert
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Mark Poos » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:54 pm

Thank you for your comment I'm not really into the Yazoo either. It will have to stay in Illinois at its home there. Glad to hear Ted is from Phoenix he can turn me on too some karting events I hope. Mark

Russ Smith
Vintage Karting items owned: 59 BugWasp; 60 GoKart800; Simplex: 60 MKII, 62 MKVI; 69 BugStinger; 67 LilIndian Minibike.

Post by Russ Smith » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:39 pm

The Yazoo looks a LOT like the ROYAL NORSEMAN by Rocco Mfg. Was there a connection?

REAR

Post by REAR » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:51 am

Good eye Russ. Never realized how close the Dragster was to the Norseman.

R.E.A.R.

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:58 am

Yazoo wasn't above buying components from other manufacturers and repainting/rebadging. Pop was a Yazoo dealer in the late fifties, and they were forever trying to get him to sell their karts. Hedstrom also built a very similar yard toy. Hedstrom and Rocco both used triangular plates and screws/nuts to form tee joints. I can't remember if the Yazoo was done the same way, but I don't see the triangular plates in the photo. Some of the Hedstroms had squared-off tube bends. Here's Autumn Nagle showcasing Mike Anderson's Hedstrom at Fremont. It has a belt drive vertical shaft Power Products on it. No throttle, just go-or-no-go. She looked a lot nicer on it than Mike did! Ted
Attachments
hedstrom_autumn.jpg
hedstrom_autumn.jpg (62.29 KiB) Viewed 6046 times