Flatback carb conversion

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Kurt Bogerman
Vintage Karting items owned: 1964(?) Rupp Grand Prix, MC 90, Safari Gearbox.
User Agreement: Yes

Re: Flatback carb conversion

Post by Kurt Bogerman » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:31 pm

Don't worry, guys. I haven't drilled anything, yet, but this link was recently posted on another forum. It's an article from Karting World, in 1966 :

http://www.kartingarchive.com/index.php ... tail&id=91

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:58 am

Where are you going to get pumper kits? Someone was making them a while back but I don't remember who.

Kurt Bogerman
Vintage Karting items owned: 1964(?) Rupp Grand Prix, MC 90, Safari Gearbox.
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Kurt Bogerman » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:25 am

Rob,

For the time being, I'm using pumpers and diaphragms that I, errrrrr... my dad bought from Griffith Specialties in the '90s. Original pumpers pop up on eBay from time to time. Knowledgeable sources tell me that you can use BDC metering diaphragms if you fill in the duckbill hole with a plug of gasket material. As many already know, many older snowmobiles used those Walbro parts. I haven't needed to go that route, yet, but I'm just wrapping up my rookie season of vintage karting: The time will come.

Also, you may be thinking of sugarcreeksupply.net for repops: I haven't tried them either, but someone should give 'em a shot and report back.

-Kurt

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:31 pm

The possibly late, infamous, Wayne Havalin from Henderson Nevada had some "reproduced"....... I did get one kit & it worked fine. If enough interest I'm sure LAD would make a run of them if the numbers worked out.