Butchered Margay New Breed Sprint, prepare to cringe!

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Stuart Thomas
Vintage Karting items owned: Margay New Breed
User Agreement: Yes

Butchered Margay New Breed Sprint, prepare to cringe!

Post by Stuart Thomas » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:41 am

Good morning all,

As my first post I wanted to show you guys my recent accidental find. I originally bought this kart for parts but after some investigation, I believe I have a "modified" new breed sprint that came with the side engine mount option. The guy I bought it off of kept the axle which is a 33 inch x 1 inch steel axle, correct for said sidewinder option. As you can see, it has seen better days. The pictures show what I currently have, what needs to be undone and what I need to source in order to restore it. I have a few questions before I proceed. First off, is this worth restoring given its current state or is it too far gone? Concerning the frame, it won't be too hard to remove the added bits but i am concerned about sourcing the seat frame. Is this something I should hunt down or have made? Obviously i will need to replace the nose section but I will need dimensions for this and I need to replace the fuel tank tabs that have been cut off. The list of bolt on parts needed is extensive. Cast pedals, front fairings (the aluminum sheeting that covers the tanks), side mount needs rebuilt or replaced, brake components/brackets and one axle pivot mount. Im also curious about the adjustable right side spindle shackle as I don't think it came that way. It has two or three different settings which raises or lowers that one shackle.

It's a mess but I'm up for the challenge if it's worth it. Have a look at the pics and give your honest opinion.

Thanks!
Attachments
20180908_005041.jpg
20180908_004852.jpg
20180908_004824.jpg
20180908_004807.jpg
20180908_004730.jpg

REAR

Re: Butchered Margay New Breed Sprint, prepare to cringe!

Post by REAR » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:01 am

Stuart,

First off, every old racer is worth restoring because your saving a piece of karting history however if your looking to do a quick flip for a fast buck, no it is not a good idea to try saving what you have. Karts may be small in size but a quality restoration can take big time and money to complete. From the looks of what you have and don't have you will be making a substantial investment in time, labor and cash.

If you decide to restore it to its glory before you get started it would be wise to track down someone who owns the same kart that would be willing to aid you with pictures and dimensions for correct parts fit and fab. It would also be a good idea also to post your location, someone may be in your area with the same kart and that would be a huge help.

A Margay New Breed is a cool kart to have and in the eyes of many it should be restored so if you decide to keep it and restore it keep us updated on your progress.

R.E.A.R.

Stuart Thomas

Post by Stuart Thomas » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:58 am

R.E.A.R,

Thanks for your input. I do understand the sort of commitment this will require in both time and money, especially the latter after pricing out some parts (yikes!). I also agree that preserving a piece of karting history is important and rewarding. Since I plan to keep this and run it during local events as a family hobby, I'm not worried about a return on my investment.

I guess my first step is to tear this down and get the paint stripped off so I can see what I am dealing with. I agree that having an existing kart as a reference is a good idea so I will add my location and reach out to the locals. If I can get the dimensions for the nose and rear sections and figure out the seat frame, everything else should be doable. I'll be sure to track my progress here along with lots of pictures.

If anyone has any Margay parts that I'm clearly missing, hit me up!

Thanks

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:47 am

If I were you I would look for another kart or two depending on the condition. Then the sum of all the pieces added together should add up to something that would be worth the work, time & financial investment so in the end you end up with what you want.

Stuart Thomas

Post by Stuart Thomas » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:00 am

Rob,

Thanks for your suggestion. I agree this would be a good option and would present a best case scenario. I have already started my search! This poor kart needs a lot of work to make it right and when you consider what I have, I'll basically be left with a frame, correct steering components, spindles and the correct Margay front wheels. I'll need to source EVERYTHING else. Lol

Stuart Thomas

Post by Stuart Thomas » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:03 am

What do you guys make of this? Am I correct in assuming this was not a factory option? What is throwing me off is the weld. The other components that were added are clearly not from the factory but this adjustable bracket has a factory looking weld. Very clean whereas the other welds are not so clean.
Attachments
1536418972556466213298.jpg

Chris Marchand
Vintage Karting items owned: to daggone many

Post by Chris Marchand » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:01 pm

Stuart, Mike Anderson had a near perfect original New Breed. I believe he sold it but may have pictures that would help. Look on this website and you can send him a Personal Message thru this Forum. Good luck, Chris

Stuart Thomas

Post by Stuart Thomas » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:40 pm

Thanks for the heads up!

Stuart Thomas

Post by Stuart Thomas » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:02 am

Made some progress tonight. Everything is rough cut but atleast it is on its way back to factory form!

Also, I guess I should be happy to have the original front wheels. Unfortunately, I will need to source a set of rears.. :(
Attachments
1536465708848853374150.jpg
15364655169472103298976.jpg
15364654259702104164470.jpg

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:06 am

All the nubs you have sticking out where you sawed them off. Make sure kart is steady & clamped down. Use a grinder to get close. Then use a good sharp hand file to bring the last bit in and make the tube round again. DO NOT SLIP! Make sure kart is secure & hands / arms are braced. Slow & steady. A low spot will show up from a mile away.