Dear Mr. Marchand - are you watching?

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

ted johnson

Re: Dear Mr. Marchand - are you watching?

Post by ted johnson » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:36 am

Dear REAR: That Very Very Old Guy out in Arizona has had his Very Sweet and Lovely Wifie running World Formula Briggs for quite a while, but We made a change! Dean Kanocz hosted the Tucson Playdays event this past Friday thru Sunday, and the Very Very Old Guy managed to snake a nice Go Kart 800 and a 91 out of Mike Hartman, and he came out of the closet! He had some carb issues at first, but got her right later on, and Wifie ran very well indeed. She also ran the wheels off my new Photon/610, and I think that both Very Very Old Guy and Very Sweet and Lovely wifie had a good time, as did we all. Food right up there with Jim Donovan's and a smooth track, as well as friends from SoCal, New Mexico, Oregon and Idaho made for a fun weekend.
Your friend, Also Very Old Ted

Mike Anderson
Vintage Karting items owned: SAE karts (2)
Rathman xterminator (3)
margay cheetah dual (1)
Blackstone Special (1)
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Mike Anderson » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:11 am

Hi Teddy,
Wish Katie and I could have come out. Maybe next time. Glad to hear a good time was had.
Later Mike

stan wauthier
Vintage Karting items owned: a couple of karts

Post by stan wauthier » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:01 pm

Hi Ted,

I was waiting for something of a report on Tuscon, sorry I couldn't make it. With my daughter in Phoenix I'll have to stay on top of the schedule and see if I can get out there to the track some time in the future. Sounds like you're feeling better. We sure missed you at TBO.
Health Warning: These posts may contain traces of nut.
Having a blast enjoying the past,
¡sıɥʇ ǝʞı1 dn puǝ ʇ,uop ǝʍ buıʎɐɹd puɐ
Best Regards,
Stan

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:22 pm

Mike, I wish you and Kathy could've been here, along with Stan and Joel. We miss all of you for sure. Weather was super, if a tad warm by Sunday afternoon. It was fun to have Ron and Sue, along with Bill Rowan and Tom Wilms and John Greaves and more to join with our usual bunch. What super guys and gals! Ted

Dick Teal
Vintage Karting items owned: 1959 Mak-Kart, 1960Fox 60L, 1961 Fox (2), 1962 Fox, 1963 Fox, 1964 Fox, Margay New Breed

Post by Dick Teal » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:00 am

I'm thinking that we should continue to discuss this special challenge that seems to be about Clinton E-65 engines or whatever they are. Maybe the guys are using Propylene Oxide or Nitro to make them fast.

Terry needs some help to catch Chris next year at Fremont, any ideas?

Dick Teal

Terry Sullivan
Vintage Karting items owned: 4 Bugs, including the Wasp bought by my Dad in 1959. Many Clintons and a few Macs

Post by Terry Sullivan » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:47 am

Dick,

I'm glad to see you are back in the saddle!

Chris showed up with a 5-ported E65 at TBO and Scott had his much modified A490 there.
Much to my dismay, both of them left me in the dust.
- For 2018, I will have a similar solution, just to keep things equal.
- Just in case 'Plan A' is not enough, I hope to step it up with a 'Plan B' and maybe a 'Plan C' from the Clinton Research Lab in Cumming, GA.

Also, I think we should modify the 'Clinton Challenge' a bit to add a 'North vs South' flavor.
Since you, Chris and Scott maintain Northern abodes and Puttnik Dude and I only VISIT the frozen North, I think there is sufficient evidence to support this suggestion.

Comments are welcome.

t

Chris Marchand
Vintage Karting items owned: to daggone many

Post by Chris Marchand » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:40 pm

Wow, sounds like serious stuff with all those back up plans !

Yes I have to admit the exotic high test pump gas from Exon I was running at TBO prolly gave the ole Clinkton the edge !

Maybe this year I will put a newer carb on the 2017 Cinkton Champ engine. The old HL 88 I was running had 1/16 " slop in the throttle shaft openings in the carb body.Get that slop out and it may make it a little easier to tune.

The North -South teams may get complicated , some of us spend more time in the South than the North , ha ha ha .
Last edited by Chris Marchand on Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dick Teal
Vintage Karting items owned: 1959 Mak-Kart, 1960Fox 60L, 1961 Fox (2), 1962 Fox, 1963 Fox, 1964 Fox, Margay New Breed

Post by Dick Teal » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:30 pm

Terry,

I'm building stuff again but driving next summer is my goal. Unfortunately the only slow engine I have is a 3-port stock West Bend 700 and no Clintons. That's not completely true because I have an A-400 on a 1958 Fox special complete with louvers in the floor pan. That's next years project.

This winter I'll help Chris set up his Fox so it handles better and get the carb. tuned or changed and tuned. The guys from the North & South stick together. I might get involved in the match race if I could find an E-65 to work on. I talked to Jack K. and he doesn't have anything but I'm still looking.

I'll ask Scott about his plans for next year, maybe he will have an E-65 next year also.

Terry Sullivan
Vintage Karting items owned: 4 Bugs, including the Wasp bought by my Dad in 1959. Many Clintons and a few Macs

Post by Terry Sullivan » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:30 pm

Dick,

An E65 is not really required.
The displacement is the same as an A490 and there is not that much mechanical difference between the two.
Clinton claimed 4.5hp for the E65, versus 2.5 for the A490, but I think they exaggerated a bit.
I have a few 'hop up' articles if you want to fool with either. Or, you may have written a few yourself?

PS - don't help Chris TOO much!

t

Terry Sullivan

Post by Terry Sullivan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:02 pm

Dick,
I think Larry Brown has one or two Clintons for sale

terry