The ultimate porting tool.

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

REAR

The ultimate porting tool.

Post by REAR » Wed May 24, 2017 5:59 pm

Enjoy the sweet smell of Alky and Klotz while your building your next bullet.

20 minute video but worth the watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlXlhxCwxv8

See you at THE BIG ONE...R.E.A.R.

ted johnson

Re: The ultimate porting tool.

Post by ted johnson » Wed May 24, 2017 6:44 pm

Now, that's great! Actually, Pop thought of the idea back in the early sixties when a guy came into the kart/hobby shop, down on his luck, and offered Pop a cookie tin of engines for fifty bucks. Pop wasn't thrilled at the idea until he opened the can. It was full of Dooling 29 and 61 racing engines! They were all in perfect shape. We sold most of them, but Pop kept talking about making a Dremel type tool with a Dooling 29. He'd have had to go over to Charlie's pop's house and borrow his lathe and mill. The more he thought, the less he was inclined to spend the time, and he gave up the idea. When I got married in '66, there were still a couple of those Doolings in that same tin container. I'll bet Pop cleared $500 on the ones he sold! Ted

REAR

Post by REAR » Wed May 24, 2017 6:52 pm

Teddy,

Went to the Dentist on Monday and I think he had one of those.

No sweet smell of Klotz and Alky for me....and I have to go back next Monday.

Bob

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Wed May 24, 2017 7:19 pm

Well, Bob, not much good alky smell for me either. I tried to time the new Brown/Bonbright 610 yesterday. The flywheel is hitting the PVL's laminations. Three solutions: unrivet the laminations and move the coil up .015, shave the ends of the lamination legs or turn the flywheel O.D. down about .015 in radius. After a talk with Dave B. last night, I sent the wheel to him to chuck in the lathe and turn it down. Regardless, it looks like making a good open West Bend. Tom Kelley is making manifolds for Steve Welte and me that will take the YZ125 Yamaha reed, and Joel Christians is finish machining a dual HL top plate from my water jet cut rough plate. Waterjet also made the gaskets, and I have a new set of Boyesen reeds. It should make a good setup with a pair of Hank Rotroff alky HL250's on top. Sure wish I could make Fremont this year. Ted