Closing in on TBO!

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

ted johnson

Closing in on TBO!

Post by ted johnson » Tue May 26, 2015 5:51 pm

Well, aside from topping off the master cylinder and setting tire pressure, the Swoopster is ready for Fremont. The Bonbright 610 is installed with a third carb, and a butterfly steering wheel, courtesy of Sterling Brundick and Chuck Giacobbe is in place for tummy clearance. It;s heavier than the Nike, so it won't be as quick, but I just wanted to get some seat time in it again. Ted
Attachments
rsz_dscn0022.jpg
rsz_dscn0022.jpg (95.04 KiB) Viewed 6107 times

Gene Luzader
Vintage Karting items owned: 1963 Simplex Challenger Twin West Bend 820's
User Agreement: Yes

Re: Closing in on TBO!

Post by Gene Luzader » Tue May 26, 2015 7:20 pm

Ted
You do some really nice work. Just curios why a 610 when you could
run a 820 for extra speed.
Gene Luzader

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Tue May 26, 2015 10:24 pm

Gene, it's several-fold. I like making an engine run really well that's not supposed to run really well. I also like the iron sleeve strengthening the 610. If I were running an 820 with the holes in the cylinder that Bonbright put in the 610, I'd have to have a girdle to hold the top of the cylinder on. This engine has proven to be nearly bulletproof. The Mac 91 is much further along the performance path from the factory than is the stock 610, so it takes more work to make a 610 perform well. Just a fun thing to do. This is the first Swoopster Bandit I've ever seen with a loop scavenged West Bend, though Mark Czajkowski out in Yuma, AZ has dual 820's on his '61 Swoopster Sprint. It was a real job shoehorning the engine onto the kart without it sticking a mile up in the air! I used Pro/E CAD to model it and design the engine mount side plate. Ted

stan wauthier
Vintage Karting items owned: a couple of karts
User Agreement: Yes

Post by stan wauthier » Wed May 27, 2015 4:23 pm

Nice setup, Ted! Looking forward to Running my 610 with you again.
Health Warning: These posts may contain traces of nut.
Having a blast enjoying the past,
¡sıɥʇ ǝʞı1 dn puǝ ʇ,uop ǝʍ buıʎɐɹd puɐ
Best Regards,
Stan

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Wed May 27, 2015 6:56 pm

Stan, I always look forward to seeing you and Joel. You guys will have me for lunch! The Swoopster has to be 30# heavier than the Nike, and both of you outdrive me. We'll still run together and have fun! I added a tiny alky HL 37A carb to the stuffer, modded by Jack Canady. We'll see if it works. I'm bringing the stock stuffer so I can convert it back if the experiment is a bust. Whole engine has to come off to get the bottom manifold off. The return spring and cable for the hand throttle was a bear to get hooked up! Thank goodness my Sis and bro-in-law were visiting from Idaho, so he could help me. See you soon. Ted