need info

Moderator: Rob Voska

Forum rules
Items listed for sale should be appropriate for the audience of this forum - think before you post! Listings will be auto-pruned after 30 days (expired - deleted).
stoney lutes
Vintage Karting items owned: rupp lancer
User Agreement: Yes

need info

Post by stoney lutes » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:52 am

KIMG0335.JPG
bought this a few weeks ago . just looking for information on it new to this. thanks in advance

ted johnson

Re: need info

Post by ted johnson » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:58 pm

It's a Lancer. With the two-piece frame, I imagine it's a GT model. Pretty good kart with the adjustable weight jacking frame, but throw away the four cycle engine. These were race karts, and need a period correct two cycle. Friend of mine bought one a few months ago. He's restoring it for an 820 West Bend engine, or maybe two of them. Ted

Mark Loraine
Vintage Karting items owned: ProX 77,McC R1,Bug Stinger Dual.
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Mark Loraine » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:53 pm

I understand Teds sentiment on the 5 horse Briggs and Stratton, what he meant I believe is sell the 5hp and clutch, then put the $150 or so towards a good 2-stroke 100, 125 or 135 cc aircooled Mcculloch, West bend or what have you. hopefully the modification made to mount the engine hasn't weakened or devalued the frame.
Pictures of the rear portion (Less engine and mounting abortion) of the kart would help determine what you should do to make this a truly great race kart from the 60's.

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:38 pm

When Ted Furtch bought his GT, it had a four cycle on it. The folks who did the conversion could've done so it'd have been simpler to go back to stock, but Ted's has been fixed, and I imagine Stoney's kart can be as well. The rear section of Ted's Lancer required some fab work and welding, but that's normal restoration work. When I say to throw away the four cycle, that's a tongue-in-cheek statement. There's bound to be a mini-bike or a tiller or yard kart to give the old engine a home. It WOULD be a help if you removed the engine and any other appurtenances that were required to install it. Then we could tell better what it'll take to get it ready for a nice Mac or a West Bend! This kart is too modern for a Homelite or Power products, and a foreign engine would look silly on there. I can't wait for Ted Furtch's rig to get the powder coat done and his very nice Bonbright 820 installed.
BTW, Robert Stanton of Robron has helped Ted with floor pan and such. He is a wealth of info on the mid-sixties Rupp karts. Ted