FS margay pro-x with mcculloch mc91

Moderator: Rob Voska

Forum rules
Items listed for sale should be appropriate for the audience of this forum - think before you post! Listings will be auto-pruned after 30 days (expired - deleted).
Matthew denton
Vintage Karting items owned: Maybe a 1970 margay pro x
User Agreement: Yes

FS margay pro-x with mcculloch mc91

Post by Matthew denton » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:50 pm

Willing to ship at buyers expense.

951-522-3777
Text or call is much better. I don’t go on forums that often
Can send more pics to phone number or email!!!!

Make offer! Need room in garage!!!!

I am still learning about this kart. Any more info is great!

Was told it’s a margay pro-X from the late 70s

Margay go kart. Barn find!!!!!! Original wheels!! Vintage Racing Go-Kart, Margay Pro-x Condition is Used. Comes with McCullough mc91a series engine. With a bdc14 carb. Will need chain and throttle cable set up. Engine has been rebuilt years ago, removed intake to confirm. U will need to personally double check rebuild on engine. Kart has new oem fuel tank with pick up. Can send more pics and info if asked.

Will come with rear body faring. No mounting hardware.

Has been upgraded with 1 1/4 rear axle with adjustable hubs and the 62 series rear margay wheels
Attachments
326A1FD0-7E02-479A-A62B-3A1BC14DF8C7.jpeg
FFF5E338-E49F-4768-A6D4-4B464F28D6D1.jpeg
E6ACBAD4-7ADB-459F-AD98-DC1E5579FEF4.jpeg
CD05E22C-A119-4CB1-9F18-F660A687F863.jpeg
A348E46B-6598-409A-862B-FBFE33495D87.jpeg

Terry Bentley
Vintage Karting items owned: Kavalla Rupp Hornet Bug Margay Cates, Ala Kart

Re: FS margay pro-x with mcculloch mc91

Post by Terry Bentley » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:00 am

That kart is not a Pro-X. It is an Xpert. Made after the Pro-X, from 79 to around 81, right before the Bandito and Expert 2 came out. Everything is mostly original except the nerf bars, and added bars to hold that Margay style nose. Margay even had a body much like this for it frame too. The lighter metallic blue color is also original.

It is an earlier model, and could have come with the Margay 24 or 62 series wheels. Someone may have changed the rears to put wider tires on. The later version Xpert had a different rear brake mount, nerf bars that fit the newer models and rear bumper was angled back more.

Its a shame you want to sell it. With narrower rear tires, that kart can be made to handle. The one thing I didnt like about those is the front and rear of frame were hard to get in sinc with each other. The was too much flex with that long narrow waist.

I have a newer all original Xpert that was made in 1983 after the next models had already been out. Those karts had already changed drastically to take advantage of softer tires from Bridgestone. That compound would likely have been YAV 10-3.60-5 front and 11-6.00-5 rears. Most everybody immediately went with the 7 inch wide tires and made that kart a beast to drive. Or even worse put the spec Burris tires on to run a series.
Pro X 1.jpg
Pro X 1.jpg (39.05 KiB) Viewed 6432 times
The Pro-X here in blue you can see rear frame rails are dog legged up, where axle is almost sitting on top, instead of going straight back.From a distance these two frames look a lot alike. But next to each other, you could see how different they really are. Also the brake mount is rear of axle. All of the Pro-X karts I remember had Airhart 175 brakes. This one has been changed over to newer Paul Martin.
xpert 002.JPG
xpert 002.JPG (65.56 KiB) Viewed 6431 times
The red Xpert. Unique to these is the newer style steering shaft with tie rods closer together and spindles with arms angled a lot more, like on yours.

Dont know why the double pic. It doesnt show up in preview.
Attachments
xpert 002.JPG
xpert 002.JPG (65.56 KiB) Viewed 6432 times

Terry Bentley

Post by Terry Bentley » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:18 am

This is the original gas tank to my Xpert.
DSC04582.JPG
The Margay website information doesnt quite match with their ads back in the 70's.

Matthew denton
Vintage Karting items owned: Maybe a 1970 margay pro x

Post by Matthew denton » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:50 am

Wow thanks a lot terry, There’s so much info out there it’s mind blowing. I’m getting more info all the time. Thanks a lot for taking the time to write that up for me! I’m only selling because my 5 yo wants a new dirt bike. And this is just sitting. I’d rather it go to someone who wants to really appreciate it. I have a Tony kart I mess around on from time to time.

Thanks again!!!!

Terry Bentley

Post by Terry Bentley » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:48 pm

Tonykart is good as it gets. I sold a bunch of them when JM was the importer. The Formula, Espirit, Extreme and Mitox. Also sold ten of the Super Greenstar models before they were even delivered to shop. Still have one new in box, that a customer never picked up. My favorite was the Espirit. I think with a current setup, it is competitive as any new chassis today. I have mine sitting under cover, thinking one day....