WTB West Bend 580 R/H Flywheel

Moderator: Rob Voska

Forum rules
Items listed for sale should be appropriate for the audience of this forum - think before you post! Listings will be auto-pruned after 30 days (expired - deleted).
Michael Jarosik
Vintage Karting items owned: Simplex MKII
User Agreement: Yes

WTB West Bend 580 R/H Flywheel

Post by Michael Jarosik » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:34 pm

Looking for a West Bend 580 Flywheel P/N Y12341. The Flywheel is for a R/H engine. Please let me know if you have one you're willing to sell, thank you.

Mark Loraine
Vintage Karting items owned: ProX 77,McC R1,Bug Stinger Dual.

Re: WTB West Bend 580 R/H Flywheel

Post by Mark Loraine » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:08 pm

I should have one, let me get back to you by tomorrow and I'll let you know. I'll post a picture of it.
Thanks,
Mark L./SWNY

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:20 pm

Please make sure to "ring" the flywheel.

How to "ring test" a grinding wheel

ring test

Grinding wheels must be inspected and "ring-tested" before they are mounted to ensure that they are free from cracks or other defects. Wheels should be tapped gently with a light, nonmetallic instrument. A stable and undamaged wheel will give a clear metallic tone or "ring."

That distinctive ring comes from the hardness of the material in the wheel and its ability to transmit sound vibrations. If the wheel is cracked, the vibrations stop at the crack and there is no ring. However, a ring test may not detect all defects in a wheel, so a careful visual inspection is also necessary.

Before mounting the wheel, check the machine's spindle speed to ensure that it does not exceed the maximum operating speed marked on the wheel.

After mounting the wheel, stand to the side of the machine when powering it on in case a crack or defect was not detected.
Performing the ring test

Make sure the wheel is dry and free of sawdust or other material that could deaden the sound of the ring.

You will need a hard plastic or hard wood object, such as the handle of a screwdriver or other tool, to conduct the test. Use a wood mallet for heavier tools. Do not use metal objects.

Suspend the wheel on a pin or a shaft that fits through the hole so that it will be easy to turn, but do not mount the wheel on the grinder. If the wheel is too large to suspend, stand it on a clean, hard surface.
Imagine a vertical plumb line up the center of the wheel.
Tap the wheel about 45 degrees on each side of the vertical line, about one or two inches from the wheel’s edge. (Large wheels may tapped on the edge rather than the side of the wheel.)
Turn the wheel 180 degrees so that the bottom of the wheel is now on top.
Tap the wheel about 45 degrees on each side of the vertical line again.

The wheel passes the test if it gives a clear metallic tone when tapped at all four points. If the wheel sounds dead at any of the four points, it is cracked. Do not use it.

Mark Loraine
Vintage Karting items owned: ProX 77,McC R1,Bug Stinger Dual.

Post by Mark Loraine » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:14 pm

None of the extra flywheels I have had that part number, sorry I couldn't find one for you.

Michael Jarosik
Vintage Karting items owned: Simplex MKII

Post by Michael Jarosik » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:38 pm

Mark,

Thanks for checking.

Michael

Bob Alexander
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Lancer
1963 Dart GP
1967 Dart "A" Bone
1968 SAE clone
1973 SAE clone

Post by Bob Alexander » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:10 pm

That's an old number, the new number is 12322.

Bob