Bug sprint

Moderator: Rob Voska

Forum rules
Items listed for sale should be appropriate for the audience of this forum - think before you post! Listings will be auto-pruned after 30 days (expired - deleted).
Dominic Salvato
Vintage Karting items owned: Caretta's, Darts, Lancers, Bug, Cates, Customs, Margay
User Agreement: Yes

Re: Bug sprint

Post by Dominic Salvato » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:04 am

I didn't take it that way Steve. I was just pointing out the spiraling costs of parts. Colico's, Chiltons, GoPowers, Hands and many other choice parts are getting rare. It's usually the last part to complete a project that costs the most. $6,500 for a bug maybe not yet. But I would give $10,000 for the first Caretta.

steveohara
Vintage Karting items owned: 1969 Bug Sprint Mc 91B1
1965 Dart Gran Prix twin Mc100s
1963 Bug Scorpion ESll Mc45

Post by steveohara » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:52 am

Dominic,

I love your enthusiasm and I doubt you would have many competitors to beat out with $10K for the first Caretta. That being said, the first Caretta is the karting equivilent of the Loch Ness Monster and a Bug Sprint is the karting equivilent of the Cotton Tail Bunnies in my back yard.... cute but they are plentiful.
I'm a proud owner of one that is special to me as it is the kart I drove to win my first IKF Sprint National title in 1971. I found it by pure chance back in the late 90s and bought it back complete with engine, clutch etc for $500.
It had been repainted and had custom upholstery but there was no question it was the same kart once I worked through the history with the seller and stripped it down to reveal several welds that we had to make in the pits at Camden, Ohio in 71. I wouldn't sell it for $10,000 but I know it isn't worth a fraction of that price.
Here's a photo of where she rests now and I don't plan to take her down and run her ever again.... unless I get ambitious and take it to the Camden vintage reunion event later this summer :)
In any event I hope Robert's finds its way to a good home and back onto the track.
Regards,
Steve O'Hara

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:20 am

Steve who made those pipes with the bend to the sky?

Dominic Salvato
Vintage Karting items owned: Caretta's, Darts, Lancers, Bug, Cates, Customs, Margay

Post by Dominic Salvato » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:20 am

I know how you feel Steve. It isn't hard for me to imagine a professional race driver, many starting in karts, wanting the first one hanging over their bar in the recreation room. I've always felt karts were functional engineering art.
A buddy of mine just bought a Mole and found out, after a little scratching, it was the one he raced many years ago, talk about a happy guy.
Ten Years ago I called Mrs.Ingel's about the Kart she has, but she wouldn't part with it, $10,000 was mentioned at the time.
There is an old adage about art "it's what ever the artist can get away with."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5DmjYV6KUI

Frankie Schaffier
Vintage Karting items owned: 85 Emmick Elite
61' Lancer

Post by Frankie Schaffier » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:18 pm

steveohara wrote:Frame must be filled with blow or smack to warrant the price :lol: Steve O'Hara
:lol: :lol:
Frankie Schaffier
Fostoria, Ohio

steveohara
Vintage Karting items owned: 1969 Bug Sprint Mc 91B1
1965 Dart Gran Prix twin Mc100s
1963 Bug Scorpion ESll Mc45

Post by steveohara » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:32 pm

Rob,

The pipe we ran was a D-H Torque Pipe built by Doug Henline out of Meyer's Speed Shop. It was a long skinny pipe that had good bottom end and mid range but would not rev high. Allowed us to run a tall gear and 100% methanol through the stock carb without reaching the rpm where the fuel pump could not keep up.
The pipes came straight but they were too long to use on the Bug Sprint without modifying them... the stinger would hang out about 4" past the left rear tire if the pipe were mounted straight across the rear of the kart so we put a nasty 90 degree bend in the pipe and discovered it ran even better :shock:
I also changed the stinger to a larger diameter and an inch longer than the stock stinger which made the pipe work a lot better.
Steve O'Hara

Dominic Salvato

Post by Dominic Salvato » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:19 am

Timeless traditions are priceless.

Rick Chapman
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Bantam B-Bomb, 77' Hornet Enduro, 79' Hornet Wishbone Sprint, 1962 Blitz F-1000

Post by Rick Chapman » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:11 am

Robert...
If you can cut it up and make $6500 for parts..
I say, get the torchs out....
As a complete unit???
Good luck..
I Never Thought I'd Be Vintage !!

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:14 pm

Dominic ...... cool picture & no cop cars in the background with the lights on! ;)

Dominic Salvato

Post by Dominic Salvato » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:37 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dJqem7U ... e=youtu.be

Crossing double yellow lines, running stop signs, open header, no one cares. Not even our bus drivers.