WTB seat back tank

Moderator: Rob Voska

Forum rules
Items listed for sale should be appropriate for the audience of this forum - think before you post! Listings will be auto-pruned after 30 days (expired - deleted).
Willie Yaw
Vintage Karting items owned: 1959 Bug
User Agreement: Yes

WTB seat back tank

Post by Willie Yaw » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:11 pm

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, and have recently acquired 59-60 Bug that I'm looking to do a restore on, and looking for a few period parts.

Seat back tank can be either a Chilton or Azusa
I know this is probably going to be a long shot, but I'm also looking for a period steering wheel as I know the plastic one on it now is not the original.

I'll post some pics as soon as I can of what I have maybe you guys can pin point the year, but I believe it is an early Bug, its spot on to the one Dwain has posted with the dual rear internal brakes, and Hands wheels which leads me to believe it is a 59

ted johnson

Re: WTB seat back tank

Post by ted johnson » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:18 pm

Hi, Willie. Welcome to the forum. Maybe the Chilton tank appeared on a few late '59 karts, but Bug wasn't one of them. The Azusa tank showed up on various '60 karts, but not Bug. The aluminum Palmini seatback was on the '60 Bug products, and maybe on the late '59's, but I didn't see them on the Bugs we sold until either very late '59 or early '60. Most '59's had either an engine mounted tank, or a lawn mower type of seatback tank. Most Clintons and West Bends had engine mounted tanks, and even early Power Products engines did too. The Palmini would be appropriate to a McCulloch Mc10 or Mc5 powered '59. Both Glenn (Bubba) Davis and Greg Gouviea make repop Palmini seatback tanks, though they're not cheap. Glenn's tanks are jewelry, with screw-on caps.