Wanted - Hartman sprint spindles to buy or trade

Moderator: Rob Voska

Forum rules
Items listed for sale should be appropriate for the audience of this forum - think before you post! Listings will be auto-pruned after 30 days (expired - deleted).
philrock
Vintage Karting items owned: Mc101 engines
1977 Hartman Blue Streak

Wanted - Hartman sprint spindles to buy or trade

Post by philrock » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:59 pm

Want to trade Hartman sprint spindles with brake brackets for Hartman sprint spindles without brake brackets. - or buy a pair of original Hartman sprint spindles in good condition.

About a year and a half ago, I modified a pair of vintage Hartman sprint spindles as follows:

1. put brackets on them for Airheart 150 calipers
2. replaced the stub axle with a longer one, which was needed, because the brakes require the wheels to be further outboard
3. The original kingpin holes were worn, so I reamed them out and pressed in hardened steel bushings.
4. The original steering arm rod end holes were worn, so I welded them up and re-tapped them 5/16-24.
5. Had them polished and show-chrome plated
P1010404.JPG
(94.05 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
P1010418.JPG
(77.09 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
P1010408.JPG
(50.87 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
As you can see, the plater got carried away with his polishing and put a bit of a taper on the steering arms – the rod end bolts still tighten down and hold securely.

The kingpin angles of the two spindles are not exactly the same – there’s a difference of about 0.8 degrees. This was intentional – to match the different angles of the kingpin tubes on my frame.

The stub axles and brake brackets were made from 4130 chrome moly steel, and were jig welded onto the yoke.

The hardened steel bushings were parted off from socket head cap screws.

I’d do a straight-across trade for a pair of original sprint spindles in good condition.

The front brakes are also available. They include:

1. Hearst-Airheart 150 cylinder body assemblies – not true vintage
2. True vintage Hearst-Airheart 150 anvils with 3/8-24 helicoils
3. True vintage Margay splined brake disc hubs.
4. 6” x 1/8” discs for above hubs.