Wanted - Lancer Seatback Tank

Moderator: Rob Voska

Forum rules
Items listed for sale should be appropriate for the audience of this forum - think before you post! Listings will be auto-pruned after 30 days (expired - deleted).
Danny Morris
Vintage Karting items owned: Rupp Lancer GT
Rupp A Bone
User Agreement: Yes

Wanted - Lancer Seatback Tank

Post by Danny Morris » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:58 pm

Searching for a Rupp Lancer Seatback Tank. I tried a Chilton 5qt. from Greg Gouveia, but the mounting holes did not line up...I think it was for a Dart. There is 3.75" between the top two mounting holes (center to center). I think it is the same as a Chaparral tank. Please let me know if you have the correct tank for sale.

Thank you.
seatback.jpg
Seatback mounting holes
(21.59 KiB) Downloaded 725 times

Rob Voska

Re: Wanted - Lancer Seatback Tank

Post by Rob Voska » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:27 pm

That style should all be the same bolt pattern............. Did your kart have something else on it? There were other tank makers.

Danny Morris
Rupp A Bone

Post by Danny Morris » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:32 pm

Rob,

The last time I saw the tank, I was a kid in the 80's. It was chrome and I remember it looking like a Chilton 5qt. It had a lot of chain rash and was rusty, so I think it got pitched in a garage cleaning. I searched my dad's garage high and low with no luck in finding it...ughh. Unfortunately, all I have to go by is my hole spacing. It is the original seatback.

Thanks,

Danny

Gary Wlodarsky
Vintage Karting items owned: Hornet SS, Dual Hornet
Expert II , Invader single and a dual, Rupp 301D,

Post by Gary Wlodarsky » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:08 pm

Dan...I agree with Rob...they were all the same ...soooo....someone had something other than the original on it.....they came with 5 or 7 qt chiltons......and if it was a 7 qt you had the brand new trank dinged in so it would fit!!!!!!

from what I saw of yer kart if you don't like the way the tank fits I'll take the pile of junk off yer hands, I hate to see people disapointed .... :twisted:
Gary W

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:32 pm

Are there holes behind the engine & clutch we cant' see? Is it posible that the holes are for somethign else and the two holes outside that are for the tank?

Danny Morris
Rupp A Bone

Post by Danny Morris » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:33 pm

Gary and Rob...no disappointment....I've been having a blast with this. It is a mystery tank however. It is the original seatback and there was no evidence of any old holes being filled. Maybe Rupp sent out karts without the seatback drilled and you just added your own tank? Here is a better diagram of the seatback. The picture is distorted because of the angle I had to hold the camera, so go by the measurements. The holes on the bottom are actually spaced farther apart than the top holes side to side even though the pic doesn't look that way. I appreciate your help.
seatback2.jpg
Seatback hole spacing
(25.86 KiB) Downloaded 588 times

Tom Smith
Vintage Karting items owned: 1960/61 Go Kart 800 Konig FA
1961 Max-Torque Special triple
1962 Max-Torque Special dual

Post by Tom Smith » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:45 pm

Just a thought here, are you sure that it is a Rupp Lancer and not a Big-J Lancer? Looking at the blueprint for Rupp dual engine karts it shows the rear axle third bearing mounting plate welded to the center frame tube on the left side of the tube with the bearing bolted to the right side of the plate. I don't know if Big-J put them on the right side or not but the one in your photo is on the right side. Robron likes to put them on the right side too instead of how Rupp originally built their karts for whatever reason.

Danny Morris
Rupp A Bone

Post by Danny Morris » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:10 pm

I'm positive it is a 65 Rupp Lancer GT or later. It still had the original floorpan stickers and 5" front turbine wheels. The rear section was a mess and I added the 3rd axle support from Robron. I went by what I saw on the Chaparrals I've seen and added it on the right side of the tube. I don't know if I will change it at this point. Thanks for the info.

Phil Parkinson
Vintage Karting items owned: 1967 ANS Mac 91b
1983 Ardillkart
1963 Rupp Grand Prix

Post by Phil Parkinson » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:58 am

Danny
I have just measured the original seat back on my "63 Rupp GP which was fitted with a Chilton tank, which I believe was 5qt.
There are 4 holes only. The top 2 are 7 1/4" apart The Bottom 2 are 8" apart and the distance between where you have 8 7/8" is 8 3/4".
Good luck with finding a tank. I have been chasing a second hand one for a while!
Phil