Mc 20 Head shroud

Moderator: Rob Voska

Forum rules
Items listed for sale should be appropriate for the audience of this forum - think before you post! Listings will be auto-pruned after 30 days (expired - deleted).
steveohara
Vintage Karting items owned: 1969 Bug Sprint Mc 91B1
1965 Dart Gran Prix twin Mc100s
1963 Bug Scorpion ESll Mc45

Re: Mc 20 Head shroud

Post by steveohara » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:21 pm

Lynn wrote.....
Is it 1/2" longer than a 30-40-45 etc..etc ?
Mine are all aluminum (and 1/2" longer)

Yes, the one i have is steel, checked it with a magnet and then last week a friend sent me another one for the motor I just finished and it is made of steel too. Both are definately 20 shrouds as they have the extra width and have not been modified in any way.
The plating used on the 20 shrouds I have does not appear to be chrome, looks more like nickle. Seems different than the finish on the 30 shroud I have but it may just be due to the fact that the chrome is applied directly to the tin or steel instead of the aluminum that the 30 shroud is made of.
Sounds like another one of those cases where the factory couldn't make up their minds!
Steve O'Hara

lynn haddock
Vintage Karting items owned: Over 100 Vintage karting engines

Post by lynn haddock » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:05 pm

Steve,
Well how bout this.
I have three long 20 covers that are aluminum but a magnet will stick to them.
Now it does not stick as solid / hard as it does on a known short/101 model but it does stick.
I know they are aluminum as when I weigh them there is absoluely no question.
I guess my question for you is how hard does the magnet grab yours ?
You have known short 101's, play with it abd report back...............

steveohara

Post by steveohara » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:13 am

Here is the recent shroud I got.... I was wrong, it is aluminum and is not magnetic at all...

Here is the older Mc 20 I have... an all original motor that has never been disassembled. The shroud is slightly tweaked but I have not attempted to straighten it.. don't want to make it worse.
Note the little magnet at far right..

Here is the same motor and magnet holding a center punch.... no doubt that the shroud is steel!

The following two shots are the whole "museum" as it is now with the old Mc 20 keeping a place for a Blue and red 101B that I haven't finished yet. Anyone want to sell a Mc 1.... that is the next addition if I ever find one.
Regards,
Steve

vince hughes

Post by vince hughes » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:29 pm

.025 stainless. I'v had one sitting here in a bucket for 8 years. If it wasnt SS, it'd be brown. Thought I had something rare, thanks a lot.
Shaft

steveohara

Post by steveohara » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:36 pm

Vinny,

Sorry bud... I guess there must be two of them :)
Steve

lynn haddock
Vintage Karting items owned: Over 100 Vintage karting engines

Post by lynn haddock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:21 pm

So I guess the final conclusion must be that the boys on Century Blvd kinda made it up as they went along !!
Maybe whatever sheet metal was on sale down at the mill got the call when it came time to make head covers !!
At least all the 20's seem to be the 1/2" longer type not found on any other model.
Now let me guess, the magnet sticks to Vince's SS example,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the plot thickens................... :roll:

steveohara

Post by steveohara » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:25 am

Lynn,

My first reaction to Vince's post was that stainless is not magnetic and I even went and tried to stick the magnet to my big stainless rollaway tool box and it would not stick then just our of curiousity I went over to my Stinger which has a polished stainless pan and bang! the magnet sticks just like it was made of steel.
I thought all stainless was not magnetic but I guess there are different types of stainless and some are magnetic???
The shroud on my 20 that is magnetic looks like it is polished stainless rather than chrome so I guess Vince and I have the only two Mc 20 shrouds in existence that are not aluminum ;)
Regards,
Steve

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:21 am

Hey, Steve, some stainlesses are virtually non-magnetic, but a number of the better alloys are magnetic :? . Even the magnetic ones aren't as "attractive" as mild steel. McMaster Carr and Ryerson and the other steel vendors have sections in their catalogs on the properties of the various alloys. TJ

Carl Haydt
Vintage Karting items owned: just enough to keep me racing

Post by Carl Haydt » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:31 pm

Hi,I've been following this post with intrest as I have 2 Mc20's that have chromed steel shrouds. The one with the riveted tag has a bunch of pitting on the underside (as shown in the photo) The other motor is also steel but has a decal for a tag.
My question is this: Which tag is correct? McCulloch's IPL lists the tag as part no.48866 My NOS tags p/n 48866 are steel tags (not a decal) but came with no rivet holes or rivets. The back of the tags look like there might have been self-adheasive at one time? THANKS! Carl
Attachments
100_0811.jpg
(112.21 KiB) Not downloaded yet
100_0810.jpg
(76.85 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
100_0809.jpg
(120.93 KiB) Not downloaded yet

steveohara

Post by steveohara » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:02 pm

Ted,

Makes sense... my floor pans are made from material purchased from McMaster Carr.. very nice stuff and strong magnetic attraction.... my rollaway tool boxes came from Costco and are probably made in China and that material has no magnetic attraction at all. The tool boxes look and function very nice but they didn't cost much so that must be the cheap form of stainless!
Carl's post seems to back up Lynn.... looks like the McCulloch folks weren't too fussy about the materials they used. I have found the same thing with some of the alloy parts like side covers, stuffers and flywheel shrouds.... some can be welded and some can't, some can be chromed and some can't... you just never know what you have. I've even had a couple Mc alloy parts simply disolve in carb cleaner... the same carb cleaner that works great on other parts... pretty interesting!
I've never seen a rivet on Mc 20 lable... now Carl has the one of a kind part and me and Vinny are toast :D
Steve O'Hara