Kart tire sizes defined

Moderator: Rob Voska

Forum rules
Items listed for sale should be appropriate for the audience of this forum - think before you post! Listings will be auto-pruned after 30 days (expired - deleted).
Thed Hester
Vintage Karting items owned: Simplex Challengers, WB-580's,
Sears Racer, PP-58
User Agreement: Yes

Kart tire sizes defined

Post by Thed Hester » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:25 am

I posted a recent WTB for a kart tire size 12 x 4 -6. My problem was not knowing exactly what the numbers meant. Here is a simple definition I have found useful when going from one tire size to another:

There are 2 methods used to measure tires:

1: If a "x" separates the 1st 2 sets of numbers the 1st number is the overall diameter of the tire. The 2nd number is the overall width. The last number represents the rim diameter.

2: If a "/" separates the 1st 2 sets of numbers the 1st number is the overall width of the tire. The 2nd number identifies the section height. This is the measurement from the crown to the bead of the tire. The last number is the rim diameter. So for a 4.10/3.50-4 tire the overall diameter is 11" (3.5 + 3.5 + 4).

Now it's easy to convert from one method to the other and find a comparably sized tire. Thed

justin_cosgrove
Vintage Karting items owned: 1960 class a replica AH-51, go kart 800 project, MC-49, part complete go kart 400b MC-8
User Agreement: Yes

Re: Kart tire sizes defined

Post by justin_cosgrove » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:29 pm

THANK YOU!!!!!! they are different from car sizes, I had guessed what you said, but now I know :D

Cheers
Justin