Sloper for Benders

Moderator: Rob Voska

Forum rules
Items listed for sale should be appropriate for the audience of this forum - think before you post! Listings will be auto-pruned after 30 days (expired - deleted).
ted johnson

Sloper for Benders

Post by ted johnson » Mon May 31, 2010 3:10 pm

First, let me say thanks to all our valiant service personnel, past, present and future. Your sacrifices are appreciated.

Back in '63, Wes Shoemaker built a "siamese" West Bend 820 dual (Dec. 63 Karting World). The intakes on the engine(s) were a sloper dual HL unit that reminded me of SAE Mac units. Does anybody out there know anything about this manifold? Better yet, does anybody have one they'd be willing to part with? I'd like to try my 610 9-port Chrysler on my '62 Swoopster Bandit, and the only way it will fit is with a sloper manifold that'll get the carbs away from the back of my helmet. Thanks for any info! Ted Johnson

Jacob Jay
Vintage Karting items owned: Power Products engines! PP1000, AH-47, AH-81. Homelite KR-92!

Re: Sloper for Benders

Post by Jacob Jay » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:18 pm

Hey Ted-

I've been looking for two of these for some time now, and I'd be very interested to see what kind of success you have. I have a feeling I'll end up manufacturing these using parts from a standard 820 manifold and Mac sloper intakes.

ted johnson

Re: Sloper for Benders

Post by ted johnson » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:29 pm

Hi, Jacob. I guess I really didn't expect to have success finding these pieces. When I laid out the Swoopsters on CAD, I built a "simplified" 610/820, and installed it on the kart. I realized then that the Swoopster Bandit was made for a Mac, and that fitting a Bender would be a challenge. I'd still like to be able to switch out the Mc20 "clone" for my 9-port 610, just to be different. I admit that though the Swoopsters were still running into the late sixties in the Indiana-Illinois area, I never saw one with a loop scavenged West Bend! I will post any progress in finding the manifold here on REAR. I'd appreciate a holler if you decide to build up a sloper. If I still had access to Pro/Engineer, I'd play with a billet sloper top plate for the V-12. Later! Ted