Fox LeMans rear wheels wanted

Moderator: Rob Voska

Forum rules
Items listed for sale should be appropriate for the audience of this forum - think before you post! Listings will be auto-pruned after 30 days (expired - deleted).
JOHN SCALES
Vintage Karting items owned: 1963 Fox Flyweight, blue with Mac 8 and Mac 49C engines. Only one engine mounted
User Agreement: Yes

Fox LeMans rear wheels wanted

Post by JOHN SCALES » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:06 pm

I am looking for outer half magnesium rear wheel for Fox Flyweight LeMans style wheel. Or any suggestions for a replacement rear wheel. Also, what's the best way to clean up the pitting on the wheels...anything I should not do?

Dick Teal
Vintage Karting items owned: 1959 Mak-Kart, 1960Fox 60L, 1961 Fox (2), 1962 Fox, 1963 Fox, 1964 Fox, Margay New Breed
User Agreement: Yes

Re: Fox LeMans rear wheels wanted

Post by Dick Teal » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:09 pm

John,

Unfortunately the Fox Lemans wheels are hard to find and when you can find one they are usually in pretty bad shape; maybe you'll be lucky.

I restore the wheels by using JB Weld epoxy to fill the pits and edges. Then I file and sand to remove the excess material. Then I prime them with Rustoleum and paint with Rustoleum top coat of your choice and then I use Rustoleum clear coat.

I'm just finishing making 2 sets of Lemans 5 inch front wheels. These are copies of the 5 inch wheels that I used in the 1960's and are really rare. I wanted to use the narrow 5 inch front tire that's available today and have the Fox Lemans appearance.

The process I used could be used to make wheel halfs but they are aluminum and not magnesium. The price is high but it may be the only choice you have. If you are interested you can contact Aluma Cast (http://www.alumacast.com) in Appleton, WI and ask for Bob. (920-739-6282) Mention my wheel project to get on the same thought process.

Here's how I made the 5 inch front wheels and I've added the steps necessary for the steel insert.
1. Find one good piece that you want to copy.
2. Work out the process with Bob at Aluma Cast; front wheels do not have inserts and rear wheels do.
3. If you have a bad rear wheel you can bust the insert out of the bad piece to use in the new part.
4. Send the insert and the good wheel half to Aluma Cast.
5. Have Aluma Cast add modeling wax to the tire bead area to compensate for the 1% shrinkage. ($125)
6. Cast the wheels out of #356 heat treated aluminum. ($50 per wheel half for me when I ordered 8 parts)
6. Clean up the aluminum casting and paint it. Only you will know that the wheel is aluminum.

The Aluma Cast process is similar to Chicago Vacuum Plaster Cast process and results in a part that has die cast surface finish qualities. I had to clean the wheel halfs in a lathe to make them beautiful but you could do the finishing by hand.

Aluma Cast can make other parts you may need. I just E-mail Bob and they give me an estimate. Remember that you need a good piece to copy or be willing to spend a lot more money for a wood pattern.

I can E-mail pictures if you're interested. teal@charter.net

Dick Teal

Rob Voska

Re: Fox LeMans rear wheels wanted

Post by Rob Voska » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:22 pm

I have a complete set to sell and a few 4" front half's.