Mac 6 inner cover

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Phil Riley
Vintage Karting items owned: Rupp chaparel, mcCulloch 300, Kavilla, Margay,Go Cart 1200, Rupp Monza, 22 karts in all.

Mac 6 inner cover

Post by Phil Riley » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:05 pm

Hi All. This week I purchased a NOS in the original box Mac 6. Somewhere in the delivery process the USPS managed to break a chip out of the inner cover by the spark plug boot. VERY DISSAPOINTING! to say the least. Does anyone have a NOS inner cover? or a perfect used one for sale. This motor was to be used for my 60`s era Kart Of The Future project. (rear engine of course). As always any help and info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Phil Riley.
Attachments
mac 6 & bug 043.jpg
(1.25 MiB) Downloaded 100 times
mac 6 & bug 043.jpg
The little piece at the lower left is from the inner cover. NOT COOL!
(1.25 MiB) Downloaded 87 times

steveohara
Vintage Karting items owned: 1969 Bug Sprint Mc 91B1
1965 Dart Gran Prix twin Mc100s
1963 Bug Scorpion ESll Mc45

Re: Mac 6 inner cover

Post by steveohara » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:48 am

Phil,

I can't help with the broken part but I am curious to hear from others that know the Mac 6. Did all of them come with the Mac flatback carb? I have a Mac 6 that has a small Tilly and I have seen others with that carb too.
Steve O'Hara

Ed DalPoggetto
Vintage Karting items owned: 63 Dart Grand Prix,62Caretta,60 Bug,64 Red Bug, 61 Ala Kart. 60 Go Kart 800.

Post by Ed DalPoggetto » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:04 am

Steve,
Early Mc-6 kart engines had a Tillotson HL93A carb, and later on used the small McCulloch flatback carb. The first early Mc-5 engines came with a Tillotson HL63B carb, which was a basic chain saw carb, and late Mc-5 engine also used the HL 93A.....Ed

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:24 am

Welcome to my world. Seems everything is getting "broken" in shipping. I even double box and use plastic totes. I've been shipping engines and parts for 30 years. Now I think every box is treated like the suitcase commercial with the gorilla in the cage. :x Now when I ship I use a box with wadded up paper all around the item then put it in a bigger box with paper between them on all sides and it has reduced damage. Getting the idiots to pay for there abuse is like trying to spit into the wind. More hassle than it's worth. They usually do get it there......just not in one piece. I even shipped a Briggs engine tote to Cubel with a 91 to run at Vegas. When I got out there and tried to put the engine on I could not figure out what was wrong. I had a steel mount 3/16 steel and it was slammed down so hard it bent the mount. Still can't fugure out how they did it. I think I could drop it off the back of a semi from chest height (about 8ft) and don't think I could have done that. The box was OK but how I'll never know. :?:

david a luciani
Vintage Karting items owned: gk800 -r1 -gilson excalibar -rupp concept dual,concept,Cheetah ll, panther -Bug
User Agreement: Yes

Post by david a luciani » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:11 am

Phil,

that's a bummer.
i may have what you need in the next couple of days as i have a bunch of chainsaws showing up .
2 or 3 are 1-60 series and may have what you need.
i'll keep you posted.

as far as shipping i've been really lucky no real damages yet.
the best packed mcculloch i ever got was from a fellow that wrapped the motor in a plastic bag.
he then set it into a box and filled the box with expanding foam.
i got a motor nested in the foam which was basically in an indestructible block.
strangely enough the box was pretty beat up.
the shipping gorilla's musta been mad. :D
dave

steveohara
Vintage Karting items owned: 1969 Bug Sprint Mc 91B1
1965 Dart Gran Prix twin Mc100s
1963 Bug Scorpion ESll Mc45

Post by steveohara » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:02 am

Ed,

Thanks for the info!
Steve

Jeff Campbell
Site Admin
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Fox Go-Boy MC20's
Robron Chaparral dual MC101
Margay Cheetah MKIII

Post by Jeff Campbell » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:48 pm

Phil
That really is a shame.

The standard engine side covers are pretty much the same for all motors (except the MC93 which had an angled cut over the head screws on the piece that broke off your MC6 sidecover).

Chances are slim to none of finding an MC6 NOS sidecover with the MC6 name plate on it. You will probably have to remove the name plate you have and bond it onto a new cover. Of course no matter what sidecover you find, the yellow color will not match the aged yellow on your NOS MC6. You will have to get custom paint made that matches the yellow color on the motor, and repaint the replacement sidecover. In the end, the repair will not be perfect, since the MC6 was originally painted with the motor assembled (there is an answer to that, but you probably don't want to strip the whole motor down and repaint it!).

Jeff

allan savins
Vintage Karting items owned: 1966 Tri-Mec MC91
1962 Ashford MC10
1966 Dart Chaparral

Post by allan savins » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:23 pm

Hi,
Get it TIG welded... and repaint the repair.
Allan

Scott Kneisel
Vintage Karting items owned: '63 Rupp Grand Prix, 66 Rupp Chappy, Mc6's, Mc8, Mc10's, Mc20's
Lotsa' other Macs

Post by Scott Kneisel » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:22 am

Hi,
TIG and repaint is probably the best idea but I would even try to use JB weld in the seam and reinforce it from underneith with more JB weld. I don't think there is any real stress on the cover in that area except for vibtration but JB weld is pretty tough stuff and is good to 500degrees F.

It looks like a very clean break and with the right clamping (you would have to get creative there, that seem would be barely noticeable. This way you won't have to paint it because like a previous member said, you will never get a perfect color match and then there is the nameplate which is aluminum in your case and may be very difficult to remove without damage and good luck finding another aluminum one.

Anyway, in my opinion it is worth the $5 for the JB weld to give it a try. If you don't like it, use one of the other approaches.
Good luck,
Scott

Jeff Campbell
Site Admin
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Fox Go-Boy MC20's
Robron Chaparral dual MC101
Margay Cheetah MKIII

Post by Jeff Campbell » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:36 pm

Scott,
I've done the JB Weld repair before, on Mac covers. I usually put some fiberglass mesh on the backside with some JB Weld underneath and on top. This does make a strong repair. Once I dropped my really nice cordless drill off a ladder, the handle broke completely off it, I used JB Weld and fiberglass mesh and glued each plastic housing half back together, and I've using that drill for several years now, without ever giving a thought to how strong the handle is.

I'm working on a MC5 replica motor now for TBO2009, and am in the process of filling in the spark plug cut out on a standard engine fan cover and sidecover to make it look like an MC5; I'm using fiberglass and JB Weld to fill in those covers.

Jeff