New Member Question

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Debbi Corning

New Member Question

Post by Debbi Corning » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:46 pm

Hello,
I am new to this and have a few questions. First, is there many women drivers in this sport? Second, I recently was given an old go kart. I'm told it's a MaCullach R1. Is this a racing go kart? What motors do these use? As you can see, there is a lot I need to learn.
Thank you,
Debbi

Tom Luttenbacher
Vintage Karting items owned: Dart A Bone, Neal, LeeKart, Lancer, GoKart 800's, Simplex, Blitz.
User Agreement: Yes

Re: New Member Question

Post by Tom Luttenbacher » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:21 pm

Debbi, yes lots of women drivers at the REAR Event. The R1 was/is a racing kart, Any McCulloch Engine would be good. Keep checking here and the info shared will get you in the know. Tom

Ernie Shores
Vintage Karting items owned: Lots of Fox Karts!!!

Post by Ernie Shores » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:59 pm

Debbi:
If you could post a picture of the kart here there are many McCulloch kart guys that would help you in your restoration.
Ernie

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:08 pm

Welcome Debbi
I would sugest you start buying old karting magazines Early 60's from Ebay or swap meets or where ever you can find them. They usually run about $5-$25 depending on the issue. They are a world of help. On the front page of this web site there are also tech articles to help you and resourses.

Debbi Corning

Post by Debbi Corning » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:56 pm

Hi- Thank you all so much for such a quick response. I just learned that my go kart is a McCulloch....not a Macullach. I guess it's obvious that I don't know much about them, but I want to learn and attend races. I live in northern New Jersey. Is there any race tracks in my area? I think it's probably a good idea to see other go karts in person and start meeting people who can point me in the right direction. Please feel free to contact me.
Thanks-Debbi

Randy Forbes
Vintage Karting items owned: McCulloch R1 #R1 3505 3144

Post by Randy Forbes » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:53 am

Welcome Debbi!

This is what my R1 looks like; not perfect, but it's better than when I got it ;)

LOTS more pictures here: http://www.rfdm.com/gallery/albums.php? ... ListPage=4

Bob Towarnicki
Vintage Karting items owned: 65 Alley Kat Mc91
Narrow Hoop A Bone Mc91B
Various restoration projects

Post by Bob Towarnicki » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:29 am

Debbi,
You are in luck being located in Northern New Jersey. Within reasonable driving distance there is a club that allows vintage karts (which yours is) to run every Sunday during the racing season. The web site is: http://www.orevillekartclub.com. Check it out. Also look at the information on this web site regarding "The Big One." It is the must attend event. Good luck with your project. This site is a great source for information and help.

andy metzger

Post by andy metzger » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:39 am

Debbi

Welcome to vintage karting !

I am located in northern New Jersey (Franklin Lakes).I have many vintage karts & parts from the sixties.I have a work shop in Carlstadt & another in Sloatsburg NY.If you would like any help you can contact me via phone 201 4819253 or Email ametzger@americanpapertowel.com.

regards

Andy

Debbi Corning

Post by Debbi Corning » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:09 pm

Thank you all for your support!! I'll get in touch with those who are willing to help. OK, another question. I know there are McCulloch engines and West Bend engines. Can you put either kind on my kart?
Thanks
Deb

Brian Thomas
Vintage Karting items owned: 61 Simplex MKII , 61 Fox Mak , 61 Fox , 67 Lancer,74 Kobra, Gokart 400, Unknown

Post by Brian Thomas » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:26 pm

Hi Debbi
My wife runs vintage , you will find that for the most part vintage karters are a great bunch of people .
A McCulloch kart should run McCulloch motors to be correct .
It is your kart run what you want to .
Take care
Brian
Brian , Dottie and Shadow Thomas
Black Dog Vintage Racing
http://www.blackdogvintageracing.com
If there isn't a Black Dog hair in the bag it's not a Black Dog product
"Black Dog" ask for it by name