Don Tomich
Vintage Karting items owned: 81 Pro 100/BM Reed
72 ANS Dominator/Parilla TG14
DAP T74
1965 SAE Repro
User Agreement: Yes

Fox Pedals

Post by Don Tomich » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:12 pm

Can anyone tell me how close Manco pedals are to original Fox Pedals?
Don

Jeff Campbell
Site Admin
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Fox Go-Boy MC20's
Robron Chaparral dual MC101
Margay Cheetah MKIII

Re: Fox Pedals

Post by Jeff Campbell » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:39 pm

Don,
I think they are very close. I just went out to look at my kids Manco kart and my Fox kart (both sitting in the garage near each other). The only obvious difference is that the Manco pedals have a crease in the bend that was added to strengthen the pedal (it's hard to even see on the foot side of the pedal). The Fox pedals have a much better plating on them, considering they are about 45 years old, they look a lot better than the Manco pedals!

this view of a Manco brake pedal clearly shows that crease in the bend:

the Manco throttle pedal:

Jeff

Don Tomich
Vintage Karting items owned: 81 Pro 100/BM Reed
72 ANS Dominator/Parilla TG14
DAP T74
1965 SAE Repro

Post by Don Tomich » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:49 pm

Thanks for putting up the pix Jeff.

Dick Teal
Vintage Karting items owned: 1959 Mak-Kart, 1960Fox 60L, 1961 Fox (2), 1962 Fox, 1963 Fox, 1964 Fox, Margay New Breed

Post by Dick Teal » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:53 pm

The Manco pedals were changed the last time the tooling was updated and the bottom part of the pedal was removed. The Fox kart version has material below the mounting hole that acts like a stop against the front axle tube. If you have a Fox for a pattern you could weld the bottom portion on and then grind the weld area and get the pedal re-plated. The other option would be to re-produce them in left and right hand versions. I've thought about doing it but I think that the volume that would sell would be too low to make it worth the bother.

Dick Teal

Jeff Campbell
Site Admin
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Fox Go-Boy MC20's
Robron Chaparral dual MC101
Margay Cheetah MKIII

Post by Jeff Campbell » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:38 am

Dick,
I new you would reply here with some aspect I missed, right you are. I just looked at the photos I posted above, of what is most likely the current production version Manco pedal (I pulled those from the Internet), and just noticed after reading your post, that the bottom end doesn't look like the pedal on my kids Manco kart. I would imagine there must be some of the older version Manco pedals floating around? Years ago, we all thought various parts just weren't available anymore, then someone would turn up a warehouse stash of them. That is the risk for anyone laying out investment cash for doing repros.

Jeff