Moderator: Rob Voska

matt azzara
Vintage Karting items owned: Robron A-Bone- WB 820
Dart GP
Go Kart 1200
User Agreement: Yes

Tire Wear

Post by matt azzara » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:52 pm

Maybe someone could tell me how to post a picture to the forum- worth a thousand words. Anyway, both the rear tires on my A-Bone have severe crusty wear along the inside 1"± of the tread patch, smooth across the rest of the tread. They're 4.10/3.50 x 5 Chen Shins on standard width Azusa tri-spoke rims. The tread patch bulges in the middle with 28 lbs. pressure. Does this sound like a familiar problem? What about the pressure- could that cause this problem? Appreciate any advice, thx...

Dean Seavers
Vintage Karting items owned: '66 Chap, '61 Bug Stinger, '61 McCulloch R-1, '60 Go Kart 800, '60 Bug Wasp, '60 Weirdo

Re: Tire Wear

Post by Dean Seavers » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:07 am

Hey Matt-

28 lbs in the back is a little on the high side I think and could contribute to the problem. As a rule I usually run between 20 and 22 lbs rear, and 18-20 lbs in the front. I know some guys run even less, like 12 in the front and 15 in the rear, but I've always liked my karts to drift. Anyway, with Chen Shins being what they are and for all intents and purposes made for the fun kart market, I'm not sure they are meant to hold up to real high pressures, or have a solid contact patch across the width at those kinds of pressures.

Just a thought...
Dean

matt azzara
Dart GP
Go Kart 1200

Post by matt azzara » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:23 pm

Thanks, Dean, I'll give lower pressures a try. Maybe that'll cure some of my understeer too. See ya @ Medford....

matt azzara
Dart GP
Go Kart 1200

Post by matt azzara » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:37 pm

As it turned out, I didn't know what I was talking about (as usual). I took one of the rears to Tommy Pierson at Bug, and he chuckled "you got more rubber on there than when you bought 'em. They aren't worn, you've picked up rubber from the hot track. YOUR tire is still under all that crud". HA!

Jeff Campbell
Site Admin
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Fox Go-Boy MC20's
Robron Chaparral dual MC101
Margay Cheetah MKIII

Post by Jeff Campbell » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:45 am

ya, for most of these hard tires that we are running, they last a VERY long time. Even on my dual engine karts they keep going and going, the tires on my Chaparral with dual 101s have been on that kart since I put it all together 3 years ago, and must have seen at least a dozen or so trips to the track for racing / practice / fun... and I have never dismounted them, only moved them wheel and all from one side to the other (they are non-directional tires). This is another side benefit of vintage karting, no heavy duty tire maintaince or expense like modern karting.

Jeff