One man's trash is another man's treasure...

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Harold Member
Vintage Karting items owned: Pieces of Parts. Parts is Parts.

Re: One man's trash is another man's treasure...

Post by Harold Member » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:11 am

Steve,

Thanks for the pic. That is a great looking Kart!!!

Looks to be about the same color as my first bicycle. A blue Schwinn Sting-Ray. Still one of my favorite colors.

I like that exhaust pipe. Looks like it provides far more performance than any of the short, open ended, aluminum casting, type exhausts.
But you can call me Harry.

Harold Member

Post by Harold Member » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:45 am

This is the other casting that the "Tombstone" shaped GEM motor mount was bolted to.

Looks like some form of live axle bearing carrier. What it attaches to or how it ties into the frame of the Kart is not clear to me at this time.

Once again... I'm all ears.

Thanks guys.
Attachments
B.JPG
(154.27 KiB) Downloaded 352 times
C.JPG
(155.97 KiB) Downloaded 353 times
D.JPG
(151.4 KiB) Downloaded 347 times

Jeff Campbell
Site Admin
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Fox Go-Boy MC20's
Robron Chaparral dual MC101
Margay Cheetah MKIII

Post by Jeff Campbell » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:41 pm

Harold Member wrote:This is the other casting that the "Tombstone" shaped GEM motor mount was bolted to.

Looks like some form of live axle bearing carrier. What it attaches to or how it ties into the frame of the Kart is not clear to me at this time.

Once again... I'm all ears.

Thanks guys.
Harold,
That is the best of the bunch, a Rupp Unimount, even a poor condition one will fetch a good buck ($150-400+).

here is what one looks like on a kart:
http://www.vintagepowersport.com/vka/as ... P10631.jpg
(the side plate the engine bolts to was painted red on this one, so it's easy to see your casting in this photo right their underneath the engine)

Don't you just love it when people have junk to throw away! I contact a fella with an auction a few years ago, he happened to mention some junk odds and ends he didn't even list since they weren't worth shipping costs, he sent me a photo of a whole table top of stuff, a Bystrom heat gage, Margay front brake spine hubs, sprockets, mounts, a ton of other valueable stuff for $10 plus $30 shipping (he thought I was nuts).

Jeff

Harold Member

Post by Harold Member » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:10 am

Jeff,

Thank you for that info. I figured it must work something like that. What type of bearing carrier is used on the opposite side?

Are these mounts prone to flexing?

I've been studying the various mounts & trying to determine what mount or what characteristics of several mounts would suit my needs the best.

I also have a hub type of arrangement in that box of parts. I was ass-u-me-ing that it was an internally mounted, expanding shoe, drum type brake.

I need to go out and spend some time with my new friend out there. He's a really cool guy but has found himself in a tight-spot due to a knee replacement surgery. He's disobeying his Dr's. orders because he needs to work enough to at least make his home payment. The irony of the situation,,,, Is that he has been in a prime location for over 20 years to acquire antiques, tools, chainsaws and untold amounts of eBay treasure. Even though there is a strong chance that he could produce far more income on eBay. He won't touch them 'puters...