One man's trash is another man's treasure...

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Harold Member
Vintage Karting items owned: Pieces of Parts. Parts is Parts.

One man's trash is another man's treasure...

Post by Harold Member » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:08 am

I was contacted recently about a few McCulloch replacement blocks that were for sale. They ended up being fairly small & a configuration that I was not familiar with.

While I was there, the owner & I started BS'n a bit & then he asks me if I'd possibly be interested in some old aluminum Go-Kart parts that he had planned to haul off to the scrapper to sell for weight. We walked over to a few barrels that had various pieces of metals sticking out. He started digging in one of the barrels & started tossing these items out into the mud. As he was doing so... He mentioned that he had already hauled off a couple loads back when the aluminum scrap price was good. :o :cry:

Here's a few pics of what was left.
Attachments
3.JPG
(144.15 KiB) Downloaded 1086 times
2.JPG
(145.82 KiB) Downloaded 1083 times
1.JPG
(151.07 KiB) Downloaded 1079 times
But you can call me Harry.

Harold Member

Re: One man's trash is another man's treasure...

Post by Harold Member » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:11 am

....and a few more....
Attachments
6.JPG
(145.53 KiB) Downloaded 1080 times
5.JPG
(150.94 KiB) Downloaded 1078 times
4.JPG
(140.64 KiB) Downloaded 1069 times

Harold Member

Post by Harold Member » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:22 am

Last but not least, was this little guy all by his lonesome. Too bad there wasn't just one more.

I think I have a fairly good idea of what I'm looking at here but I'd definitely appreciate any advise & history on these parts.

I'm not real sure about the 2 square parts (lower left corner of pic #1) that look like some type of carb hood plus the 3 hole bearing support looking part.

The GEM 2 hole stuffer looks to be the trophy of the bunch. What is the support leg that comes off of it for? I was also wondering what type of reed cages are used with this & the other 2 hole castings?

Thanks.
Attachments
7.JPG
(154.5 KiB) Downloaded 1065 times

steveohara
Vintage Karting items owned: 1969 Bug Sprint Mc 91B1
1965 Dart Gran Prix twin Mc100s
1963 Bug Scorpion ESll Mc45

Post by steveohara » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:00 am

Harry,

The two parts in the lower left corner of #1 are rock guards that fit the first version of the Mac Big Bore carb as came on the 91 and 101 models. Pics #4 and 5 are a Mac 30 OEM intake manifold. # 6 used to be an integral engine mount, stuffer and dual carb intake until someone cut off most of the mount portion. I also see a late model Mac intake with one of the strangest modifications I have ever seen on the underside!!
Looks like a 45 degree GEM motor mount in nice shape... they sell on ebay for over $100 all the time. A few other useful bits and pieces.... a great find all around!
Steve O'Hara

Harold Member

Post by Harold Member » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:14 pm

steveohara wrote:Harry,

The two parts in the lower left corner of #1 are rock guards that fit the first version of the Mac Big Bore carb as came on the 91 and 101 models. Pics #4 and 5 are a Mac 30 OEM intake manifold. # 6 used to be an integral engine mount, stuffer and dual carb intake until someone cut off most of the mount portion. I also see a late model Mac intake with one of the strangest modifications I have ever seen on the underside!!
Looks like a 45 degree GEM motor mount in nice shape... they sell on ebay for over $100 all the time. A few other useful bits and pieces.... a great find all around!
Steve O'Hara
Hey Steve,

Thanks for the info. So those are rock guards? I thought they looked like they fit on a carb intake. Is the angle supposed to be up, with the longer section at the top of the intake, or down, with the longer section towards the bottom? I would think up... but maybe not.

So my "Trophy" part has been hacked? :oops: :( What was it originally supposed to look like?

The Mac intake with the strange modifications... I'm guessing you are referring to what appears to be an attempt at some tear drop shaped ports. I have another one like it, that looks like the first attempt didn't go as well as planned. It would be interesting to learn what the original intent was & if there were any results to report.

That GEM motor mount was attached to a bearing carrier type assembly. I'll see if I can't get a pic or two of that piece later on today. The pieces in the pictures were the best of the bunch after being cleaned up. Took a few days of soaking in Simple Green to get the mud, grease & cooked on 2-stroke gank to let loose. Then a quick run through the dish washer while the little women was away. :twisted: :lol: A word of caution... Do not use Purple Power on aluminum parts. You will not be happy if you do.

Harold Member

Post by Harold Member » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:25 pm

I just happened to see a new listing on eBay that shows what that dual carb/stuffer/engine mount used to look like.

A lot of material has been removed from the one I have. Anyone have any idea why this may have been done? :? Sure messed up a cool part. :( Guess I don't need to be concerned about cutting that remaining 'leg' off.

Is there some type of reed cage that is supposed to be used with these two holers or are they used as is?

I set it on one of my incomplete engines & rotated the rod & crank through a few revolutions. There is interference. Is there supposed to be a spacer plate or thick gasket to provide the proper clearance?

Randy Forbes
Vintage Karting items owned: McCulloch R1 #R1 3505 3144
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Randy Forbes » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:41 pm

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking you need GoPower pyramid type (6-petal) reed cages for each carb.

david a luciani
Vintage Karting items owned: gk800 -r1 -gilson excalibar -rupp concept dual,concept,Cheetah ll, panther -Bug
User Agreement: Yes

Post by david a luciani » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:45 pm

harold,
you find some nice stuff.
all those manifolds require reed cages to function.
mostly the gopowers like randy said.
they go for big dollars so go back and get them if you can.
if you need a pix let me know and i'll send one.
it looks like you have one that's complete less the reeds.
if this guy has any other scrap aluminum get it .
many parts you don't know now are probably there and a syour knowledge grows you'll kick yourself for leaving them behind.
if you want to sell or trade for some of your new bits p.m. me and we'll chat.
dave

steveohara
Vintage Karting items owned: 1969 Bug Sprint Mc 91B1
1965 Dart Gran Prix twin Mc100s
1963 Bug Scorpion ESll Mc45

Post by steveohara » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:11 am

Harold,

The rock guards were used on rear engine karts set up with the motor positioned so that the carb was pointing straight up. The part would bolt on to the top of the carb using the two holes just like the later air filter cups. The high side faced forward to deflect air flow up and over the carb. I ran on on my 1971 Reed Lt National Winning Bug Sprint. Here is a pic of the kart...
Regards,
Steve O'Hara

Harold Member

Post by Harold Member » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:03 am

david a luciani wrote:harold,
you find some nice stuff....
...if you want to sell or trade for some of your new bits p.m. me and we'll chat.
dave
Thanks Dave, You know that saying about blind squirrels & nuts? Sometimes I just get lucky.

I would appreciate any educational pics. I figured there had to be some form of a check valve to prevent reversion back through the carb.

I don't have any immediate plans for sellin' or tradin' until I figure out exactly where my projects are headed. Any parts I don't end up using will find good homes.