GEM Products & Accessories.

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Harold Member
Vintage Karting items owned: Pieces of Parts. Parts is Parts.

GEM Products & Accessories.

Post by Harold Member » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:12 am

Does anyone know of an online catalog or actual web-site that displays the GEM products. Plus the history & development of the various GEM products.

Thank you.
But you can call me Harry.

ted johnson

Re: GEM Products & Accessories.

Post by ted johnson » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:57 am

Harry, call them at 630 653-1800 and ask for a paper catalog. They have no website that I know of. Their vintage products are very limited. Gaskets, V-12 reeds and so forth. Ted
Their address:

G.E.M. Products, Ltd.
496 E. St. Charles Road - #B
Carol Stream, IL 60188

Harold Member

Post by Harold Member » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:15 pm

Just called & left a message with my mailing address.

Sounds like they only man the phone for about 3 or 4 hours a day.

What type of business do they mainly do these days?

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:19 pm

I don't know if they still make any snowmobile parts or not. They do sell some modern kart parts and accessories. I bought several V-12 gasket sets and reeds from them, and they seem to be O.K. My, how the mighty have fallen! I can remember the day when half the kart was G.E.M. Vince Hughes reproduces V-12 bases and some engine mount goodies under the JSJ (for Jackshaft Jones) logo, chain guards and much else. Contact him at:
Vince Hughes
Vintage parts & fabrication
1555 Ridgeway St.
Oceanside, CA 92054
(760)721-6400 home
(760)908-3644 cell
jackshaftjones@cox.net

He's hard to get hold of, but a great guy with a lot of knowledge and pieces. I use his recast G.E.M. chain guards, and I have several of his repro West Bend engine mount bases, as well as vintage Mac and Bender parts. TJ

Harold Member

Post by Harold Member » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:54 am

I believe this may be who you are referring to: http://www.geocities.com/classickartshop

Jeff Campbell
Site Admin
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Fox Go-Boy MC20's
Robron Chaparral dual MC101
Margay Cheetah MKIII

Post by Jeff Campbell » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:05 am

FYI - GEM was for sale about a year or so ago, I remember it was advertised as a part time business and most of the purchase asking price was for the current inventory. Sounds like it wasn't sold, yet anyway.

Jeff

Harold Member

Post by Harold Member » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:53 pm

I received the catalog in the mail the other day.

Pretty cool to re-experience the anticipation & excitement of waiting for & then receiving a parts catalog. 8-)
Kind of like the good ole days, prior to the instant gratification of online catalogs.

If there is anything someone might want me to look up for them, just let me know. I have a scanner, but I probably shouldn't scan & post too much of their catalog.

Scott Kneisel
Vintage Karting items owned: '63 Rupp Grand Prix, 66 Rupp Chappy, Mc6's, Mc8, Mc10's, Mc20's
Lotsa' other Macs
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Scott Kneisel » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:04 pm

They also re-introduced the original GEM 1 piece box muffler for Macs. I just bought a couple for $39.95 each. Why buy used on eBay for big $ when you can get the real deal.

They also re-introduced the original cast aluminum stuffer for 101 and another one for all other macs. $18.95 Not bad considering I just paid $20 each for a couple old stock stuffers.

It is all in the revised catalog. Call for one.
They are only there in the mornings Central time.

Dean Seavers
Vintage Karting items owned: '66 Chap, '61 Bug Stinger, '61 McCulloch R-1, '60 Go Kart 800, '60 Bug Wasp, '60 Weirdo

Post by Dean Seavers » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:47 pm

Just a quick head's up with the GEM box mufflers- check the port opening on the muffler against the exhaust gasket before you install it. I found on a few of them that the port in the muffler was so small it was choking down 25% or more of the area of the exhaust port on the motor! Not a big deal because 10 minutes with a dremel and some files and it was easy enough to open and contour the port, but I can only imagine performance would suffer if you bolted on the muffler without mods.

That said, I'm really thankful that GEM is producing some parts for vintage karts.

Dean

Harold Member

Post by Harold Member » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:42 pm

Dean Seavers wrote: ....That said, I'm really thankful that GEM is producing some parts for vintage karts.

Dean
Indeed!