Period Correct Aftermarket Parts?

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Darvin Jahnke
Vintage Karting items owned: 60 Simplex Mk II Dart Kart

Period Correct Aftermarket Parts?

Post by Darvin Jahnke » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:19 pm

What is REAR's position on this? Things like wheels,steering wheels,Brakes etc. A lot of these were swapped around back in the day. Do the karts have to be as manufactured or can they be as raced? Thanks

REAR

Re: Period Correct Aftermarket Parts?

Post by REAR » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:10 pm

Brake system up grades are allowed at THE BIG ONE because the safety of our guests is priority one.

Skinny hard tube type tires pretty much dictate the type of tire and wheel allowed. Remember, NO sticky tires !

Swapping components as in Margay 24 series wheels, Go Power Wheels, Azuza, etc or period correct after market hot rod engine pieces, gas tanks, etc. are ok also as long as the part was commercially available in the mid 60's preferably.

Steering wheels ? Don't know how to quite grab this one. LOL. However I wouldn't bolt a MoMo wheel with a Mycron gauge on a Homelite kart even though some let this type of thing run. Hope you get the idea here.

Remember, we are trying to replicate 60's style karting in the U.S.A. with American karts and components as close to original as possible plus the use of period correct parts insures the value of your machine for years to come.

Darvin, you are planning on attending right ? If so stop by the R.E.A.R. tent and introduce yourself. We always like to meet fellow rear engine karting enthusiasts.

R.E.A.R.

Darvin Jahnke
Vintage Karting items owned: 60 Simplex Mk II Dart Kart

Re: Period Correct Aftermarket Parts?

Post by Darvin Jahnke » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:34 pm

Thank you for the reply,and I agree 100% that if you are depicting a certain time period,that any parts used should be as what was available during that time frame. I've just gotten involved with the vintage karts after over 40 years away from them. I didn't find out about TBO until prior commitments had been made but it will go on the agenda for next year. Keep up the good work,it is appreciated. Darvin