McCulloch SAW Engines?

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Phil Riley
Vintage Karting items owned: Rupp chaparel, mcCulloch 300, Kavilla, Margay,Go Cart 1200, Rupp Monza, 22 karts in all.

McCulloch SAW Engines?

Post by Phil Riley » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:23 pm

Hi All. I have seen a lot of McCulloch chain saws for sale on Ebay lately and they mention kart use. Does anyone know which ones have a keyed tapered shaft if any and what their model # are? Also do the manifolds and stuffers interchange as well as the mounts and recoils? How many CC`s are they? I know these questions have probably been ask a million times but I would like to know the story again. As always any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Phil.

mcbob
Vintage Karting items owned: Everything Mac but a Kart but who know's ?

Re: McCulloch SAW Engines?

Post by mcbob » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:17 pm

I know it's a minefield but have a look at my site and here's the page
Bores , strokes and capacities of McCulloch Chainsaws
http://macbobaust.com/bores.html

Plenty of info there

Mc Bob.
http://macbobaust.com/saws.html

david a luciani
Vintage Karting items owned: gk800 -r1 -gilson excalibar -rupp concept dual,concept,Cheetah ll, panther -Bug
User Agreement: Yes

Post by david a luciani » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:10 pm

first buy mcbobs reference c.d. on mccullochs.
this is to cross check your parts kart motors and saw.
to me the oldest ones are the best for parts scrounging.
mostly because the heads come off and many of the blocks are the same or very close.
the pistons are different they have bigger rings but the upside is they'll cool the engine better. not the best for all out racing but we don't do that anyway . :shock:
all the cast stuffers will work but you have to trim off the oiler bar guide nub/tab to look like a kart stuffer.
the separate intakes on the older saw have the same reeds,and there are a few that match older kart motors. the coils are the same , most of the flywheels are the same and the fan covers except for the kill switch hole are the same. the heads all interchange though the dome area can be different.
newer saws have intergral heads so that is an issue for some people.
check mcbobs site for tapered shafts though with a little work the stepped shaft can be made to work.it'll also tell you the bore displacement and stroke. look under mckart section in the engine specs url.
one day soon i'll be posting a video of how to break down a mcculloch saw pretty fast.i've lost count but i've stripped quite a few. i have 14 i've just bought that should give decent material to film
with a little cross checking a mac ten can be made from two models blended together.but i'm not telling ;) the info is there to find if you look.
a mac 5 can be made by stripping down another one.
also various cranks and connecting rods crank bearings coils and small parts can be used from all the older saws on your project.
hope this helps dave

Mark Havery
Vintage Karting items owned: Poison Arrow, Chaparral, McCulloch R-1
Dart Mean Machine and the "Mongrel Kart"

Post by Mark Havery » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:29 pm

Phil,
Next months "Vintage Kart Magazine" Will have a "Saws to Karts" article covering the conversion of a McCulloch Super 250 80cc saw engine for kart use. All the pitfalls are covered.
Unfortunately Macs don't yield as many kart engine parts as you would like. You would not have a problem though.
Mark

mcbob

Post by mcbob » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:17 pm

I think you'll find that the 250 is in two different engine sizes 80cc and 87cc with the Super 259 being 87cc. And with fixed heads.

Mc Bob.

Harold Member
Vintage Karting items owned: Pieces of Parts. Parts is Parts.

Post by Harold Member » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:11 pm

Mark Havery wrote:Phil,
Next months "Vintage Kart Magazine" Will have a "Saws to Karts" article covering the conversion of a McCulloch Super 250 80cc saw engine for kart use. All the pitfalls are covered.
Unfortunately Macs don't yield as many kart engine parts as you would like. You would not have a problem though.
Mark
Where would I find more info on this magazine?

My interests would be technical articles on the various engines, more-so than the Karts themselves.

Thanks.
But you can call me Harry.

david a luciani
Vintage Karting items owned: gk800 -r1 -gilson excalibar -rupp concept dual,concept,Cheetah ll, panther -Bug
User Agreement: Yes

Post by david a luciani » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:49 pm

it's the vka club member magazine.
you'd have to join vka to get the mag.
there is some discussion about posting the old mags on the website but so far it's only been talk.
dave

Mark Havery

Post by Mark Havery » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:15 am

Hi Mc Bob,
I know the 87cc engine exists, but I have never seen one. Additionally does the 87cc saw come in the 250 and 259 models. I know that the larger engine is shown on the Acres site as a Super 250 too.
Thanks for the info, Mark

Mark Havery

Post by Mark Havery » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:17 am

Hi David,
When was there a discussion of posting the magazines to the website?
Mark Havery
Editor,VKA's "Vintage Kart Magazine"

mcbob

Post by mcbob » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:52 pm

Mark Havery wrote:Hi Mc Bob,
I know the 87cc engine exists, but I have never seen one. Additionally does the 87cc saw come in the 250 and 259 models. I know that the larger engine is shown on the Acres site as a Super 250 too.
Thanks for the info, Mark
I've been collecting a few of the 87cc models the same engine size is in the 380 / 380a, 1-80, Super 44a, Super 250 and late 250 plus 440, 450, 650, 660.
I'd imagine these with a tapered crank might be something i might get around to using i our hotsaws.

Mc Bob.