Need help identifying a couple of engines.

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Harold Member
Vintage Karting items owned: Pieces of Parts. Parts is Parts.

Re: Need help identifying a couple of engines.

Post by Harold Member » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:31 am

Ed DalPoggetto wrote:Harold,
Your 4 stroke is a Continental, the Deco engine actually has the name Deco casted into the block right in front of the point box. The brazing on the front of the block was a comon modifacation for midget engine builders, and was refered to as straped. It was a way to try and protect the block due to rod failure. The gear box is an after market performace item, made by Solt, and as you stated, with a 6 to 1. ratio. Usually the midget ran a #40 chain, and a 12 tooth on the engine, and 24 tooth on the axle. The gear ratio worked out to be an 8-1 final drive ratio. I raced quarter midgets from 1958 to 61, and from what i can tell from your pictures, this engine would be raced in a stock class. The carb, ignition, and head are all stock continental parts.....Ed
Ed,

Thank you very much for that info. I've been searching with variations of DECO & Continental, specs, ratings, modifications, history, etc. And have only found a few rule books & a company or two that still re-builds them. From what little I've gathered so far... It appears to be another fascinating engine!

Do you have any idea of what I may find by removing the 6:1 reduction box? I think I would prefer to remove it & simply use a centrifugal clutch.

Once again, Thank you.
But you can call me Harry.

Ed DalPoggetto
Vintage Karting items owned: 63 Dart Grand Prix,62Caretta,60 Bug,64 Red Bug, 61 Ala Kart. 60 Go Kart 800.

Post by Ed DalPoggetto » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:17 pm

Harold,
The model number of the engine that you posted a picture of is AU7-R, an the engine with a crankshaft to mount a clutch is AU7. To mount a clutch on your engine in the picture, you will need to replace the crankshaft, the gear box cranks, have a short splined shaft, that mates with the female splines in the gear box, so you just can't remove the gear box, and install a clutch. The crank you will need is from the AU7 or AU8 engine. They both have the same stroke, the only difference is the AU7 is for a 5/8 clutch, and the AU8 is 3/4. You also will need to find the crankshaft bearing suport plate when removing the gear box....Ed

Mark McDonough
Vintage Karting items owned: 1969 Rupp Duel 91A's,
1974 Sears Fun Kart,
1957 Cherokee QM,
1958 RaceCraft QM

Continental Gear Reduction Crank vs. Keyway Crank shaft

Post by Mark McDonough » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:48 pm

Continental Gear Reduction crank shaft was the standard set up on 50's, 60's vintage Quarter Midgets. The Gear reduction direct drives are still in use today in the series.

The attached photos illustrate the two types of crankshafts made by engine manufacture Continental (DECO Detriot Engine Co. bought Continental in the early 60's). The foreground is a keyway crankshaft (gear drive for cam removed). The background is the gear reduction crankshaft. Note steps and bearing positions are same.

Harold Member

Post by Harold Member » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:30 am

I sure appreciate all the info you folks have provided.

The actual model number cast into the engine block is AA7-B. Right next to that number is a flat area to receive a stamp. The number 442 is stamped in that area.

I'd really like to find a service manual, plus a book or two on the history, development and the performance modifications/capabilities of these engines.

I also need to learn what type of self contained recoil starter can be used on this engine.

How do these quarter midget cars operate with only direct drive? Are they started on blocks & then pushed off? Are the races started from a rolling start? Usually... Neutral is a pretty handy feature to have.

Ed DalPoggetto
Vintage Karting items owned: 63 Dart Grand Prix,62Caretta,60 Bug,64 Red Bug, 61 Ala Kart. 60 Go Kart 800.

Post by Ed DalPoggetto » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:01 am

Harold,
Look on ebay, and type in Continental Gas Engine, there is someone always selling service manuals for this engine. The number you have AA7-B442 is just the block casting number, the model number for your engine is AU7-R.
When i raced these cars they were all direct drive, and push started by are Fathers, so the races were from a rolling start. These cars didnt do more than 30 to 35 MPH, but geared 8 to 1, and being six years old, and 40 lbs, they were pretty quick, for being on a dirt track.....Ed

Mark McDonough
1974 Sears Fun Kart,
1957 Cherokee QM,
1958 RaceCraft QM

Post by Mark McDonough » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:51 pm

Hi Harold,

I've got a couple of vintage QM's under restoration right now. One's a 1957 Cherokee, the other is a 1958 RaceCraft. I have a dealer only issued manual on the Continental engines that covers the AU7 and AU8 series. It's pretty thick and an unusual size so making copies would be a bit tedious but let me know if your at all intersted.

There were no pull starters for these engines as they ran in the QM series back in the 50's-60's. There was on the AU8 which is for the most part the same engine only used for a different application(s), and I happen to have one. What was latter adapted by some was a cup starter on the fan side, just like the 2 cycle engines.

The starting sequence back in the day wasnt at all pretty. Ad hoc teams of folks being recruited to push start the cars. Dads breaking their backs and falling once the thing fired etc. It was probably a side show in and of itself! Clutches, for the most part, and certainly in the series, were just not used. They were for some home based hobbyists but here again, in order to run the clutch, these engines had the 5/8ths long shaft crank that a clutch could be mounted to for more user friendly excursions through the neighborhood, backyard etc.

Mark

Harold Member

Post by Harold Member » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:01 am

I found these the other day.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=016

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=022

Anyone have any idea on the quality of the information & print clarity?

Mark, I really appreciate the offer! If the material above will be sufficient, I don't want you to have to work on my behalf.

Once again... Thank you everyone. You've all been very helpful.

PS. What type of horsepower potential does this engine have?

Mark McDonough
1974 Sears Fun Kart,
1957 Cherokee QM,
1958 RaceCraft QM

Post by Mark McDonough » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:08 am

Harold,

Stock Hp is 2-2.5 for the AU7 depending upon application. The AU8 is a 3 Hp engine. It should be noted that the current generation DECO engine puts out over 20 Hp and turns over 9K rpm. There are some engine tuners still out there that understand these engines. The material listed is basic info. and should get you started. These engines found their way into a whole bunch of industrial equipment back in the day and were first used in quantity by the military in WW II for anything from pumps to generators. Post War they became popular in some light duty agricultural equip. Much of the published data is general as a result of the history but spec books do generally carry enough information to maintain the engine. The difficult issue these days is parts availability.

Mark

Harold Member

Post by Harold Member » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:35 pm

I wanted to add this guy to that list above.

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/stevescarts/

Looks like he will be re-manufacturing many of the 'Solt' products.

I have his phone number if anyone is interested. Send me a PM & I'll pass it on to you. I have yet to speak with him other than through e-mail. I plan to call him this week sometime though.