Need help identifying a couple of engines.

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Harold Member
Vintage Karting items owned: Pieces of Parts. Parts is Parts.

Need help identifying a couple of engines.

Post by Harold Member » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:13 am

I've picked up a couple of engines that I have yet been able to identify. Sure would like to know more about them.

Anybody here recognize them & can point me towards any informative articles with the specs, history and performance ratings?

Here are several pics of both engines. The first one is a 2-stroke that I located at a yard sale. Purely by accident I was able to locate & obtain another one of these that is a basket case at this time. The Bore & Stroke measure about 63.44mm X 40.15mm. These are not 100% accurate measurements as far as the stroke, but it's real close. The only markings I've been able to find. Is the writing on the flywheel, the casting number on the intake manifold and another number on the block next to a very small "Alcoa" logo. The basket engine looks to have an updated head on it due to it having cooling fins instead of being flat like the engine in the pic. Other than that... They look identical.

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

This second engine was removed from a 1993 Quarter Midget. Even though at casual glance it almost appears to be a 2-stroke also, it is a 4-stroke. I was told that the gear reduction unit on the out-put is geared at a 6:1 ratio. I'm not sure how I will work around this extra feature. I plan to use these engines to power a couple of classic Minibikes instead of the more traditional Briggs or Tecumseh power-plants usually found on a mini.

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Thank you.
But you can call me Harry.

ted johnson

Re: Need help identifying a couple of engines.

Post by ted johnson » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:49 am

Hi, Harry! Clutch is Noram, first engine looks like a quite old Homelite chainsaw (I could be wrong) second engine is a Continental (Deco), used on all early quarter midgets. Parts should still be findable for the Connie, harder to get for the Homelite (if that's what it is). Ted

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:52 am

Clutch is a modern Noram, it is still made.
First engine is a chain saw unit. (I think as it has a strange intake system)
Second engine is a Dico Quarter Midget engine.

Harold Member

Post by Harold Member » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:44 pm

Excellent!!!!

Thank you guys.

Any idea of model numbers or links to any sites that would help me further I.D. these engines? I really want to determine exactly what the first one is so I can not only freshen up the one pictured, but also try to locate the needed parts to rebuild the basket case engine.

I would really like to find out, or at least have an idea of the HP & torque figures for these engines.

Once again... Thank you very much.

EDIT: PS. That clutch was attached to the first engine along with a fairly primitive motor mount fashioned from a section of 5/16 or so, steel 90 degree angle beam. It took a few days of soaking the output shaft with a penetrating oil before I could gently remove the clutch from the output shaft & then be able to remove the motor mount. I was hoping there would be some form of identifying info hidden behind that motor mount. There wasn't. :roll: :lol:
Last edited by Harold Member on Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:55 pm

Hi, Harold. The Deco Continental is a four stroke, and therefore not used on vintage karts. The members here might not be very familiar with it. You might try Googling on quarter midgets for info. The other engine....WOW! You may get lucky and have a REAR member recognise it. If it IS an early Homelite, the best info source is http://www.acresinternet.com, and go to the chain saw collectors section. I looked at the Homies there this morning, but didn't see anything that one could say with confidence was the one you have. If only you had the air shrouds, and could post photos, I will bet someone could help! Dad was a Homie dealer in the early sixties, but, if that's a Homelite, it's even earlier than that. By the way, is there a reed valve tucked in there somewhere? Some of the early Homelites of 7.88 C.I. had rotary valves, but I don't know where the valve was located. Ted

Dan Dettmann

Post by Dan Dettmann » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:10 pm

Does the clutch go with the "Homelite"? Carb position in relation to the exhaust seems to suggest that it wasn't a chainsaw engine. Possibly vertically mounted? Looks like it may have had a governor. Noram clutch design hasn't changed (much) from the 60's, so they're indistinguishable. Present day springs can be used to turn it into a kart clutch.

Harold Member

Post by Harold Member » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:13 pm

Ted,

Thanks for the link. I had found that site earlier but had forgotten about it. Now that I have a little more info I've selected the following models as the nearest contenders.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/e ... enDocument

My first engine (the one pictured) did not have a blower housing. My second engine (the basket case) has one of the black blower housings with the remains of the "HOMELITE" name in the block letters like models "20MCS" & "26LCS".

I will need to take some more accurate bore & stroke measurements plus see what type of I.D. #'s I can find on the carb.

Dan, The clutch was installed on the engine pictured.

Thank you.

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:12 pm

Harold, pull the manifold on the flat headed one and see if it's rotary valve. A careful measurement of the bore ought to narrow things down! From the measurements you listed, along with the uncertainity on the stroke, it looks like one of the big 7.88 C.I. units. I don't even know if those early units were loop scavenged! It'd make a neat engine for a VERY early kart. Ted

Harold Member

Post by Harold Member » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:47 pm

The basket case engine has the head removed & is a rotary valve engine. The flat headed engine appears to have the exact same intake manifold & block. There doesn't appear to be any form of a reed cage.

Ed DalPoggetto
Vintage Karting items owned: 63 Dart Grand Prix,62Caretta,60 Bug,64 Red Bug, 61 Ala Kart. 60 Go Kart 800.

Post by Ed DalPoggetto » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:21 pm

Harold,
Your 4 stroke is a Continental, the Deco engine actually has the name Deco casted into the block right in front of the point box. The brazing on the front of the block was a comon modifacation for midget engine builders, and was refered to as straped. It was a way to try and protect the block due to rod failure. The gear box is an after market performace item, made by Solt, and as you stated, with a 6 to 1. ratio. Usually the midget ran a #40 chain, and a 12 tooth on the engine, and 24 tooth on the axle. The gear ratio worked out to be an 8-1 final drive ratio. I raced quarter midgets from 1958 to 61, and from what i can tell from your pictures, this engine would be raced in a stock class. The carb, ignition, and head are all stock continental parts.....Ed