Don Tomich
Vintage Karting items owned: 81 Pro 100/BM Reed
72 ANS Dominator/Parilla TG14
DAP T74
1965 SAE Repro
User Agreement: Yes

Fox Lemans Wheels

Post by Don Tomich » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:00 am

Can Fox Lemans wheels with "chunks" out of the rims be repaired?
Don

Dick Teal
Vintage Karting items owned: 1959 Mak-Kart, 1960Fox 60L, 1961 Fox (2), 1962 Fox, 1963 Fox, 1964 Fox, Margay New Breed

Re: Fox Lemans Wheels

Post by Dick Teal » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:12 am

Don,

I would think that you could if you had the chuncks that came out of the rim. Magnesium and aluminum can be welded (at least my welder says so) but I've never had it done. I have one rim that is cracked that I plan to have him practice on it this winter. The wheel would then have to be machined in the welded area to match the wheel.

I'm not sure how practicle it would be if you substituted material and then machined to match the shape before and after welding.

You may want to ask the welders in your area. The person I use does a lot of aluminum welding for the motor bike and car racers around here.

Dick Teal

Tom Luttenbacher
Vintage Karting items owned: Dart A Bone, Neal, LeeKart, Lancer, GoKart 800's, Simplex, Blitz.

Post by Tom Luttenbacher » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:31 am

Don, dick,
Welding in pieces of like metal is very practical, I have had it done many times and as mentioned, machined/hand shaped after the weld. The challenge is finding a Tig Welder who is on top of his game as these are exotic metals and tempermental to weld. Tom

Brian Thomas
Vintage Karting items owned: 61 Simplex MKII , 61 Fox Mak , 61 Fox , 67 Lancer,74 Kobra, Gokart 400, Unknown

Post by Brian Thomas » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:23 pm

I have had some Lemans wheels welded and it is not an easy deal. Please excuse my spelling . Magnesium is tough to weld . Porosity is a real problem .
Brian
Brian , Dottie and Shadow Thomas
Black Dog Vintage Racing
http://www.blackdogvintageracing.com
If there isn't a Black Dog hair in the bag it's not a Black Dog product
"Black Dog" ask for it by name