Moderator: Rob Voska

matt azzara
Vintage Karting items owned: Robron A-Bone- WB 820
Dart GP
Go Kart 1200
User Agreement: Yes

WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE?

Post by matt azzara » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:00 am

I’ve been into vintage karting for about 2 years- longer than some, less than others. Now, after seeing some of the recent threads on the VKA and REAR forums, I’m beginning to wonder where we’ll be in another 2 years, 5 years, or 10 years. In my brief experience, I’ve observed that vintage karting participants share a common interest for some very diverse reasons:
1. I had one when I was a kid, and the nostalgia has drawn me back to enjoy the good old days one more time- I don’t want to race, I just like puttin’ around the track
2. I couldn’t afford one when I was young but I’ve never forgotten the passion I had to own one, and now I can!
3. I’m a strict purist- I enjoy the challenge and sense of accomplishment in accurately and painstakingly restoring something 40 or 50 years old. If you run modern-day spark plugs, don’t come to our event.
4. The only real ‘vintage’ karts are rear-engined- if you want to run sidewinder, buy a TAG or a shifter and join the IKF
5. Rear-engine karts belong in the same category as Mancos and Yerf Dog yard karts. Sidewinders are the only true vintage RACE karts.
6. I never saw a go-kart until recently, but the adrenaline rush of going fast on a relatively fast, simple machine was too enticing to resist
7. I raced “back then” and I’m still motivated by the sense of competition racing without all the expenses and technical issues of ‘modern’ karting
8. I’m enticed by the sense of camaraderie I’ve experienced with other vintage karting enthusiasts
9. I don’t know, or care, about the history of karting (Duffy WHO?), I just love vintage karting as a way to enjoy something exciting with my family.
10. I’m a gung-ho racer who loves the competition over the detail of authenticity, and I prefer the run-what-you-brung attitude, even if many of the karts at an event are less than accurately restored to what actually existed back in the 60’s or 70’s. A class for sidewinders with Italian duals, modern clutches, fancy pipes, and 6” wide tires (aka Monsterkarts) is OK with me.

Personally, when I found the VKA and REAR websites two+ years ago and realized that there were guys running the kind of karts I’d obsessed over when I was 14, I got a great big lump in my throat and I thought I’d died and gone to Heaven. I fit comfortably into several of the categories above and I couldn’t wait to get into it. The nostalgia and camaraderie, the adrenaline rush, and the sense of simplicity appeal most to me, but I have a lot of respect for the guys who argue that “…if your Caretta ain’t yellow, it ain’t authentic vintage”. On the other hand, I also get a kick watching a good Monsterkart race, even if they aren’t authentic vintage. S’all good……

OK, I’m in the middle of the road, but ‘fellas…. the road ain’t that wide! As enthusiastic as we may be, there aren’t really that many of us and I have that awful feeling that if we don’t reach a middle ground and agree to some compromises in how we organize events, our sport could wither. We could even go as far as ruling that Robron or Bug repops aren’t really vintage, but if we did that, how many of us would want to invest the time and money in attending events with a minimal number of entries because each kart’s chassis had to be carbon-dated as part of the tech inspection? Or, if we abandoned a reasonable definition of ‘vintage’ and found most of the field comprised of shifter karts sans fairings, how long would your interest last then?

Most of us who are currently active in the sport aren’t kids anymore- we watched Elvis on the Ed Sullivan Show and news of the Kennedy assassination LIVE! If we continue to splinter into little groups, with no tolerance for other opinions, what are the odds of a healthy future generation for vintage karting? And, do we really want to miss the chance to get us all together just because we have different ideas about how vintage is vintage?

There’s gotta be a middle ground!

Rob Voska

Re: WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE?

Post by Rob Voska » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:07 am

#11 Dad can we get a kart.....no, Dad can we get a kart.....no, Dad can we get a kart.....no, Dad can we get a kart.....no, Dad can we get a kart.....no, Dad can we get a kart.....no, Dad can we get a kart.....no, Dad can we get a kart.....no, Dad can we get a kart.....no, Dad can we get a kart.....no, Dad can we get a kart.....no, Dad can we get a kart.....no, Dad can we get a kart.....no, Dad can we get a kart.....no, Dad can we get a kart.....no, Dad can we get a kart.....no, Dad can we get a kart.....no, Dad can we get a kart.....no, Dad can we get a kart.....no, Dad can we get a kart.....no, Dad can we get a kart.....no, Dad can we get a kart.....no, Dad can we get a kart.....no, Dad can we get a kart.....no, Dad can we get a kart.....no, Dad can we get a kart.....no, Dad can we get a kart.....no, Dad can we get a kart.....no, Dad can we get a kart.....no, Dad can we get a kart.....no, Dad can we get a kart.....no, Dad can we get a kart.....no, Dad can we get a kart.....no, :D :D :D

Jeff Stamper
Vintage Karting items owned: 1970 Bug Stinger

Post by Jeff Stamper » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:38 am

Thank you Matt. Its kinda funny, back then I could afford them, but now I just dont have the resources to restore a rear engine racer. I personally have the attitude about the repro's that they are NOT vintage, but I do think they are a great idea. What I would love to see is the kids nowdays who race the 120 mph shifter and TAG karts jump into one of these and have a go at it. I am also in the middle of the road on this. I loved and still love karting but I also see my limitations in restoring karts. I want my girls to get into karting also. This in itself poses a problem the way I see it. There are kids here in town who run the new stuff and my 14 year old was telling them about her Vintage Bug and they proceeded to make fun of her. Well, its easy to say "don't pay any attention to them" but let me tell you, thats not gonna happen ! LOL I also have a 9 ear old that wants to do this ! Well as you can see, I am kinda stuck in the middle. I think I am going to have to get rid of the Bug and get a small kart for my little one. My 14 year old is gonna run a 28 year old kart anyway. She is gonna race the Expert I bought in the Yamaha class. I know its old, but what do you do with it. Its a great kart and it does not fit in either racing world, its either too old or not old enough. But let me tell you, that kart will handle ! Anyway, I am putting the finishing touches on the Stinger and I will list it again (at VKA) and let the chips fall where they may. I hope this doesnt die because I have great memories with my father from MY VINTAGE DAYS ! I personally do see a need to get a board together to get all the little things worked out in Vintage so it stays around !
If it wont go fast, Make it look GOOD !!!!

Jerry VanDeusen Jr
Vintage Karting items owned: 69 Techno
75 bug wasp twin
59 bug
80 Twin invader

Post by Jerry VanDeusen Jr » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:43 am

Jeff How can you say The karts Bug are making are not vintage
there made on the same tooling and same way they made them back then I dont even call them Repos
there the same darn kart just a 35 plus year gap in production.

Russ Smith
Vintage Karting items owned: 59 BugWasp; 60 GoKart800; Simplex: 60 MKII, 62 MKVI; 69 BugStinger; 67 LilIndian Minibike.

Post by Russ Smith » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:32 pm

Rob sounds like he knew my dad! After dad's emphatic NO!!!! he would also add, "absolutely NOT under any condition will you get one of those d@mn things.........NEVER!!!" Ah, what better way to inspire a young fella.

Jeff Stamper
Vintage Karting items owned: 1970 Bug Stinger

Post by Jeff Stamper » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:15 pm

Well it cant be Vintage if its not manufactured between 1956 and 1972 ! Yep, Its right up there above ! Has to be so cause its written on this website
If it wont go fast, Make it look GOOD !!!!