Vintage Karting items owned: 69 Techno
75 bug wasp twin
59 bug
80 Twin invader

Re: Future of Kart Collecting?

Post by Jerry VanDeusen Jr » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:25 am

I think the Vintage karts will be here down the road
old Hot rods are still here look at the rat rods
alot of younger people in them couse there cheaper.
when i have people over that never have seen a kart
or know the new stuff always head right for the
vintage stuff and I think it alot cooler than the new stuff.
oh and most go right to the c-open :twisted:
Just got to get them to the track and ride one.
we too would be at Bakersfield but are rock hard ybns dont meet Vintage Kart Police rules
which duro harder than Gus's Tires which i also i have one set of but i bought the wrong front tires the tubless one's that also do not meet Vintage Kart Police Rules
with myself being 27 I am in the younger side of the vintage karts, I tought vintage was about fun and keep them has vintage has you can or can AFFORD TOO. the vibe i get from
the Bakersfield PLAY DAYS is there trying to run people off.but maybe i am to young to understand

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:45 am

Jerry, the rules as set by the "Kart Police" aren't really very hard to follow, nor are they all that costly. Ron C. and Mike H. set the Bakersfield rules up early, and posted them clearly on Geocities for ALL to see, giving the guys plenty of time to prepare. It doesn't seem hard to get an extra set of Azusa wheels and Cheng Shins (they don't even have to be new...) to run B'field or Fremont, and keep the YBNs/Douglas rims for the tracks that allow them. Mike and Ron tried hard to set up an event for VINTAGE and repro vintage karts. I surely would've gone if I'd had the vacation time to use, even though I couldn't have taken the karts. These guys, as well as Rob V. and Bob K. spend an incredible amount of their time and their own MONEY to provide venues for the families that enjoy the VINTAGE part of vintage karting. Come on out and ENJOY the looking, driving and companionship that Bakersfield and Fremont provide, then go on to Quincy and some of the other events that allow BTTW racing-you may see me there, too! It's all good, and I'll be happy to meet you! :) TJ

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:52 am

John, I meant to thank you for the kind words! You and your wife were another pair who we met and who made TBO the best yet. P.S. I never DID get to sit in the Slingshot! :cry: TJ

Mike Schneider
Vintage Karting items owned: none yet

Post by Mike Schneider » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:32 pm

i too believe vintage karting will be around for a long time. look at vintage bikes, they are going strong . some day a 2008 shifter kart will be vintage too!!!!
mike

allan savins
Vintage Karting items owned: 1966 Tri-Mec MC91
1962 Ashford MC10
1966 Dart Chaparral
User Agreement: Yes

Post by allan savins » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:52 pm

Hi,

A friend mine who is in his 70s who is quite passionate about his Rolls Royce allowed me to have a drive of it.....I wondered why I was given such a privilege, as this car was his pride and joy. Later he said, it was his aim to get other people who were younger interested in this type of cars.

Personally, I have the view with vintage karting that all are welcome...and not be too critical about the kart they choose to join in with, especially if they are younger.

Allan

Jeff Campbell
Site Admin
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Fox Go-Boy MC20's
Robron Chaparral dual MC101
Margay Cheetah MKIII

Post by Jeff Campbell » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:22 pm

uhmmm....what will happen when the "grey beards are gone"... you asked...

The next generation of grey beards will be running those same vintage karts, and they will be many people that raced more modern karts, got sick of the BS, money, etc.... and discovered, for the first time, the original fun that kicked karting into a high flying fad in the late 50's and early 60's. I could get into a long discussion on what the "original fun" was, but many of you already know about this. Modern karting and early karting are miles apart, not just in equipment technology, but more so in why they are "fun". Karting might have gone by the same name for over the past 50 years, but it is not the same type of "fun". Basically if you are someone that likes to tinker, to make stuff, to modify stuff, make stuff work, you are going to really like the "fun" of early era vintage karting (obviously modern karting does not offer much of any of this).

Jeff