Moderator: Rob Voska

Jeff Campbell
Site Admin
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Fox Go-Boy MC20's
Robron Chaparral dual MC101
Margay Cheetah MKIII

Firestone tires, check out photos

Post by Jeff Campbell » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:42 am

I saw this auction on ebay after it ended, but the photos are worth looking at (I've never seen NOS Firestone tires before), the molded in radius on the outside edge of the tire is neat....

more photos still up at completed auction:

ted johnson

Re: Firestone tires, check out photos

Post by ted johnson » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:59 am

Hey, Jeff, they looked so neat back then that Dad bought a set....didn't take long for him to remove them from his Wasp! They had absolutely no grip at all. I can't remember what he did with them, but they never went back on one of our rigs. I remember seeing them on an Xterminator in our neck of the woods, but with the Xterminator, there was no way to tell if the skins or the kart was at fault! There were other tires in the day, including some recaps, that had even more extreme crown shapes. I guess they figured that since they wore that way, why not start them out that way! Ted

Jeff Troy
Vintage Karting items owned: Dart Super K/PP-AH58, Homelite Spitfire LA-1/KL-82/LR-82
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Jeff Troy » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:12 pm

Hi, Buds,

In 1960, my brand new, live axle Homelite Spitfire kart came with Goodyear hard-as-rock slicks up front and those same 12-inch-outer-diameter Firestones on the rear.

After three years of backyard bashing and a two or three races on the original Cuddebackville track, the Firestones were down to pure cord and the Goodyears looked almost new.

I have since been informed that the radius outside edge on those Firestone slicks meant that they were originally designed and sold as quarter midget tires. Shouldn't matter much, as they were truly awful tires, and completely mismatched to the equally awful Goodyears on my Spitwad.

Kinda makes me appreciate that Cheng Shins ain't so bad at all! They look okay, wear decently and fit the vintage profile correctly, and they work a whole lot better than my original tires.

Warmest...
Jeff Troy
759 New Holland Ave.
Lancaster PA 17602
717-917-3670 (Leave message and I will return your call)
http://www.bradleygt.com
http://www.jefftroy.com (Under Construction)

Bob Towarnicki
Vintage Karting items owned: 65 Alley Kat Mc91
Narrow Hoop A Bone Mc91B
Various restoration projects

Post by Bob Towarnicki » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:49 pm

I remember around 1961 buying some Sears Allstate Racing Slicks from the catalog and they had the same rounded outer radius. I wonder who manufactured them for Sears? I can't tell you how good or bad they were. I used them on a homemade Kart with a Jacobsen 2 cycle that didn't go fast enough to challenge their grip. I will say I thought they were really good looking.

Don Tomich
Vintage Karting items owned: 81 Pro 100/BM Reed
72 ANS Dominator/Parilla TG14
DAP T74
1965 SAE Repro

Post by Don Tomich » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:30 pm

I recall buying some Eliminator rears sometime in the mid/late 60's that had that same profile.
From memory the rubber was very hard and I ditched them after a shorted time.
Don

allan savins
Vintage Karting items owned: 1966 Tri-Mec MC91
1962 Ashford MC10
1966 Dart Chaparral

Post by allan savins » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:54 pm

Hi,
I run a very similiar set of tires upon the rear of my Vintage Kart. They are called Contour Slicks. made in the shape to which they will wear...
Allan

Mike Anderson
Vintage Karting items owned: SAE karts (2)
Rathman xterminator (3)
margay cheetah dual (1)
Blackstone Special (1)

Post by Mike Anderson » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:37 am

You will get to see those tires in person on my Xterminator at the Big One next year. Thanks to all who did not bid on them.