BUG STINGER

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Phil Riley
Vintage Karting items owned: Rupp chaparel, mcCulloch 300, Kavilla, Margay,Go Cart 1200, Rupp Monza, 22 karts in all.

BUG STINGER

Post by Phil Riley » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:10 pm

Hi Guys. I need some info on a Bug Stinger I bought last summer. There is a 70 in the For Sale/Wanted section that looks like it except for the front end . My kart has the tierods and spindle arms in front of the axle and the front bumper is much shorter. Approx 4" from front of axle. I was told this was one of the first sidewinders that BUG produced. Does anyone know about what year they changed to the controls behind the axle and the longer ft bumper? As always any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Phil.

VirgLove

Re: BUG STINGER

Post by VirgLove » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:30 am

As I recall they came out in the fall of 1969. We got ours from Neil Keller's Hub Distributing before Christmas 69 to run in the Purdue GP with a Parilla TG14L in April of 1970. It was not long before they put the front porches on them later in 70 or maybe 71. Things moved at light speed in those days.

Russ Smith
Vintage Karting items owned: 59 BugWasp; 60 GoKart800; Simplex: 60 MKII, 62 MKVI; 69 BugStinger; 67 LilIndian Minibike.

Post by Russ Smith » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:51 am

I have an early version (late 1969) model with the front mounted pitman arm, non-floating seat, and short front bumper......no porch. In the manual that came with the kart it is referred to as a "Standard A". There is also a model "B" shown in the same literature with a 7" porch.

Jeff Stamper
Vintage Karting items owned: 1970 Bug Stinger

Post by Jeff Stamper » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:00 pm

These guys here know there stuff, but to be sure. I would just call Tom, he built them and can remember almost every little detail about the changes. I have the 70 you referred to and thats how I found out everything about it. He is the one that told me mine is an early 70

Call Tom Pearson at

FAX 626.334.0333

email - kartsparts91@aol.com (Leave your phone # when e-mailing)
If it wont go fast, Make it look GOOD !!!!

Phil Riley
Vintage Karting items owned: Rupp chaparel, mcCulloch 300, Kavilla, Margay,Go Cart 1200, Rupp Monza, 22 karts in all.

Post by Phil Riley » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:19 pm

Thanks Guys. I have contacted Tom Pearson and the info is correct. Virglove is right about things happening at a fast pace back then. 70 saw about 3 changes. I did buy another BUG STINGER today that is a complete, Untouched kart. This one is not a floating seat and does have the forward steering controls and the short bumper. I was lucky on this one. It still has the nylite wheels and original tires, seat uphoustry, tank, number plate, etc. I guess I just needed another project! Thanks for responding and keeping the karting sport alive, Phil.