1975?

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

larry gibson
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 hellcat,1975 super dart,3pp5.8,1pp6.1super,1mc91b

1975?

Post by larry gibson » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:12 pm

Trying to finish my 1975 robron super dart. The only difference between this and the A bone is it has a extended front end. Will this kart be allowed at The Big One? If not I'll just throw one of them old tiller motors on it and tear up the back yard. Thanks Larry

REAR

Re: 1975?

Post by REAR » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:37 pm

Looks like you answered your own question. Guess you'll have to bring the Hellcat.

larry gibson
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 hellcat,1975 super dart,3pp5.8,1pp6.1super,1mc91b

Post by larry gibson » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:48 pm

Thanks for the reply. Don't understand a repo kart is allowed but a real vintage is not. Guess I'll keep both karts home. I'am sure there are other events they will be welcomed at. Thanks Larry

Jeff Campbell
Site Admin
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Fox Go-Boy MC20's
Robron Chaparral dual MC101
Margay Cheetah MKIII

Post by Jeff Campbell » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:43 am

If I remember right, the Super Dart was as you described, basically a rear engine A-bone kart kart with a front porch added.

TBO event guidelines are on the page link below, 1972 is the cutoff. Only Rob and Bob are involved in defining TBO event and putting it on. After attending this event many times, I can summarize how I see this event, the idea of the event is to recreate an era with a Labor Day weekend celebration of American made rear engine karts and American made engines from the 1972 and earlier era. That is why accurate repro's are OK and karts from after 1972 whether original or repros are not allowed.

http://www.rearenginekarts.com/phpBB30/ ... p?f=1&t=66

Jeff

Steve Pires 63
Vintage Karting items owned: 3 rupp abones
blitz barracuda
bug sidewinder
go kart 800

Post by Steve Pires 63 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:37 pm

Concerning the rules for the big one, my 69 rupp dart, which I've had since new, has an extended front porch which was done at approximately the time of your cut off date. I respect your rules, but before i come out there for your event (10 hour drive for me) i want to know if my kart is legal.

I can provide pictures if needed.

Please let me know ASAP

thank you,

REAR

Post by REAR » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:26 pm

We have all seen old karts that have had roll bars, leg extensions of some sort, and even those dreaded 'seat wings' attached and the owners all claimed they ran them with these modifications back in the day. Possibly they did but its very doubtful at best that they actually did and quite frankly we don't want to be wasting our time and efforts splitting hairs with this type of claimed modification especially since it upsets the 'soul' and the configuration of the original rear engine chassis designs offered in 1972 and earlier.

With this in mind pertaining to Steve's question. The modifications such as he claimed may or may not have been made in 1972 and this is where a big part of the problem lies in this particular case.

If we start allowing any 'claimed' modification how can the modification actually be 'dated' and where do we draw the line on other such modification claims? Do we just take someone at their word? Absolutely NOT, especially in this case where a guy with a 1975 Robron Super Dart can now just say he has a 1972 Rupp A-Bone that has been modified. Simply put, Steve is a victim of circumstances and also a victim of his own handiwork with this particular brand and model of kart.

So in answer to your original question Steve, NO your modified kart is NOT eligable for participation at THE BIG ONE because it was not listed in a O.E.M. Rupp brochure with a extended front porch at the time it left the factory in 1972 no matter what you may claim for ownership or race history. Also as we said earlier, we are not going to waste our time and efforts on this type of matter any longer so consider this issue closed and if future questions are asked and no reply is given consider the questionable equipment unfit for participation also.

However, we must Thank Steve for asking this question before just showing up with incorrect equipment and for anyone else who happens to be reading this remember that it is YOUR responsibility to bring a kart that conforms to the simple R.E.A.R. guidelines. So remember, if you have questionable equipment or no insight what so ever as to what was run in 1972 and earlier ask before you attend because we would hate to see you make a long drive for not.

R.E.A.R.

david martin
Vintage Karting items owned: old twin rail kart and a bunch of stuff cluttering the garage

Post by david martin » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:47 pm

do alot of people come to these events?
thanks
Dave

Jeff Campbell
Site Admin
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Fox Go-Boy MC20's
Robron Chaparral dual MC101
Margay Cheetah MKIII

Post by Jeff Campbell » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:51 pm

Dave,
Yes, they do. At the major events, expect over 100 karts to show up, along with several hundred people. This year, the turnouts have been the highest ever on average from what I saw, several events were in the 150-200 kart range. TBO this year was a record turnout, the facility was darn near capacity!

Jeff