Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

John Greaves
Vintage Karting items owned: 1967 Bug Sprint
Repro Bug Sprint
Repro Dart "A Bone"

Klotz Super Techniplate

Post by John Greaves » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:53 am

I've had inputs from a couple sources that this Klotz Super Techniplate is junk, and does not lubricate well. I would like to try and get some others inputs on this. Have you run your engine(s) very long on it, and checked the bearings afterwards, or had any problems?

Thanks

Rob Voska

Re: Klotz Super Techniplate

Post by Rob Voska » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 am

That "junk" is all I run. KL100 is 20% castor. I run alky at 1 qt to 4 gallons. Pistons, rings, rod bearings, seals all hold up well. Also used it in gas with no problems.

In Yamaha sprint racing we have been running Klotz R50 at 6-8 oz per gallon but it's a whole different animal and needs.

Yamaha sit up sprint we ran 7oz Blendzol and we ran engines 2 weekends, 4 races that were aprox 7 million revolutions before rebuilds and the bottoms ends looked like new and the pistons and rings were in great shape. Have to flush the engines out as the straight castor will stick bearings after sitting and when engine is started it will skid the bearing.

I have used other oil's also over the years but my rule is I only run oil from an oil manufacturer. In otherwords Hillbilly Willy's Super Snake Oil he buys and rebottles will never see the inside of any of my engines.

Jeff Campbell
Site Admin
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Fox Go-Boy MC20's
Robron Chaparral dual MC101
Margay Cheetah MKIII

Post by Jeff Campbell » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:55 am

ditto Rob's comments. I run alky and Klotz Super, on all my Vintage motors that I have been racing at meets (MC101's and BM-135's mostly), for some 4-5 years now, and haven't had to rebuild one motor due to wear. I usually run about 10oz per gallon of alky (same as I did back in the 70's). Usually its hard to go wrong with castor oil, or a mix of castor and synthetic, and a sufficent fuel,oil mix ratio. Oil selection is still one of those areas of black magic marketing, lot's of people pushing their oil by making people fearful of using anything else. I can't say I have ever used an oil that was Junk ... where it broke down, made my rings stick in the piston, became unmixed, clogged my ports or carb, or did any of those other things that the other guy said would happen! ... anyone care to share any bad experiences?

Jeff

Randy Forbes
Vintage Karting items owned: McCulloch R1 #R1 3505 3144
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Randy Forbes » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:05 am

Very limited experience on my part, but one of Rob's comments has me asking for clarification.

I've been using Klotz Benol (the little bottles) at a 16:1 ratio; should I be flushing the engine(s) out after running? With what, straight gasoline, or another cocktail?

How should I approach them, as I have not flushed them in the past? I DO pour some gas/oil through them prior to running after they've been laid up for a while...

Thanks!

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:51 pm

Castor is sticky. I flush with .....Marvel Mystery Oil but any 2 cycle lawnmower / chain saw / outboard oil will do as the engine has no load on it or temp. Keeps rings free etc..... If you run gas & castor you might get away with it but lets face it, some of these engines sit for months on end with no running.

If you run Klotz with or without castor I have never had a problem with an engine sitting.

Another thing is these engines sit between runs for long periods of time. When starting an engine it's a good idea to not run the engine hard for a few laps to get things loosened up and free from sitting.

John Greaves
Vintage Karting items owned: 1967 Bug Sprint
Repro Bug Sprint
Repro Dart "A Bone"

Post by John Greaves » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:38 pm

Thanks for the inputs, Rob & Jeff. Glad your experience is associated with long time usage, too. Guess I'll continue to use it (I have been for the last year - with no problems - but when you start hearing negative inputs, you wonder if you should throw out what you've already got stocked-up on and change to something else, knowing the costs of harming an engine).

Randy Forbes
Vintage Karting items owned: McCulloch R1 #R1 3505 3144
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Randy Forbes » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:40 pm

Thanks Rob, I already keep MMO around for a variety of uses.

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:27 pm

Marvel works great on carb gaskets also. Keeps them from sticking to the plates.