Moderator: Rob Voska

Jeff Campbell
Site Admin
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Fox Go-Boy MC20's
Robron Chaparral dual MC101
Margay Cheetah MKIII

Re: Mc9 cylinder hone question...

Post by Jeff Campbell » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:05 pm

also Lisle 16000 hone is a good one from what I have heard. Like Tom said, engine builders many times follow up with a ball hone to chamfer ports or go to a finer cross hatch finish (if you feel this is better, its a matter of opinion). Chamfering ports can be done many ways, a ball hone is a real quick way to get it done, but hand finishing with a stone or small files works well too (that is what I use).

Jeff

Randy Forbes
Vintage Karting items owned: McCulloch R1 #R1 3505 3144
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Randy Forbes » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:20 pm

Thanks Bill, I have a bid in on the 3950 hone (it's "good" so far...).

Wow Jeff, I'll bet I spent well over an hour going through all those Ebay links last night (and doing some research on the models that didn't have the range listed). How about that big bench hone; a little overkill? ;)

I'm thinking I should just bring my block (and maybe a carburator) up to W. Bloomfield :P

If I don't get the Ammco at a decent bid, I'll probably order the Lisle through local NAPA store. I get a trade discount, so it should be pretty painless.

I'm also considering a small manual bender (for 3/4 & 7/8 tube) to compliment my hydraulic bender, so I'm watching my tool budget at present.

But thanks again, as I had never considered a "fixed" type hone. I presume there are simple setup instructions so as to not overbore the cylinder? I have a full compliment of calipers and micrometers to use, as needed.

Scott Kneisel
Vintage Karting items owned: '63 Rupp Grand Prix, 66 Rupp Chappy, Mc6's, Mc8, Mc10's, Mc20's
Lotsa' other Macs

Post by Scott Kneisel » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:03 pm

Wow,
I guess the 3 stone glaze breaker I have used for years is no good!! :o

Its kind of funny, the McCulloch engine manual says to rough up the bore with some emery cloth!!
I guess you can go just about as far as you want with this stuff so do what you need to.
Good luck Randy

Jeff Campbell
Site Admin
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Fox Go-Boy MC20's
Robron Chaparral dual MC101
Margay Cheetah MKIII

Post by Jeff Campbell » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:36 pm

Below is an excerpt from an article written by Gary Hartman, it describes a pratical approach for checking ring fit (roundness of bore and rings). Once I hone a cylinder I look for ring fit using this method. What I have found is that some rings are not round, and that the best fitting ring may not be the size that came with the piston that is being fitted to the cylinder (sometimes rings that are 0.004-0.005 different fit better, which has a lot to do with the piston cylinder clearance being set up).
Rings_-_Gary_Hartman2.jpg
(91.83 KiB) Downloaded 437 times

Scott Kneisel
Vintage Karting items owned: '63 Rupp Grand Prix, 66 Rupp Chappy, Mc6's, Mc8, Mc10's, Mc20's
Lotsa' other Macs

Post by Scott Kneisel » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:00 am

Excellent Article,
I always wondered about the tool steel vs chrome rings and I never thought about the rings being out of round? I have had good luck with the Hartman super sealer rings though, it makes sense. I will use this method from here on out.
Thank you Jeff