Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Randy Forbes
Vintage Karting items owned: McCulloch R1 #R1 3505 3144
User Agreement: Yes

You guys wore me down...

Post by Randy Forbes » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:40 am

I never planned to be a kart kollector!

In an effort to get my 1st R1 completed, a recent "parts buy" included two (2) more R1 chassis; all I wanted was a decent steering wheel!

As it turned out, I still had to section a s/w rim hoop to repair the wheel I already had. See pages 4 & 5:http://www.rfdm.com/gallery/album108?page=4

The two (2) kart chassis arrived yesterday, and have certainly seen better days! The chassis numbers are R1 722 and R1 S-90 (compare with my 1st R1 # R1 3505 3144). There doesn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason to the numbering sequence; anyone care to venture a clue? Pictures of the chassis start on page 6: http://www.rfdm.com/gallery/album108?page=6

The yellow chassis looks the most easily repaired, just need to replace some missing tubes, clean up some prior repairs and replace the floorpan. Incidentally, this one has an open steering tube (other 2 are enclosed) and seems to be original, though I've been wrong before. I have yet to determine if the aluminum floorpan was a modification or original.

The other chassis took a serious hit to the rt/fr axle, and it would probably be just as easy to replicate the chassis tubes (starting from scratch) as it would to repair this one. It's pretty rough, but does include an original brake caliper.

There was also a nice Mc9 included in the deal; appears to be completely unmolested, as far as ports go, but is missing both threaded inserts at the exhaust flange. Does anyone know where replacements, or alternatives, can be had?

Thanks for any tips or leads.

Scott Kneisel
Vintage Karting items owned: '63 Rupp Grand Prix, 66 Rupp Chappy, Mc6's, Mc8, Mc10's, Mc20's
Lotsa' other Macs

Re: You guys wore me down...

Post by Scott Kneisel » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:25 pm

Hi Randy,
I just took a look at the sectioning you did on the steering wheel. Nice job, you do impressive work!!
Question: What do you plan for the rubber part?

The reason I ask is that my R1 wheel had good metal but the rubber had big chunks out of it. I used black urethane epoxie to build up the missing areas and then built a fixture that rotated the wheel thru a bath of vinyl coating material. The results are OK but it would be nicer to have a better job. Any ideas you have in this area would be appreciated.

Thanks for putting up all your photos in the restoration process.
Take care,
Scott

Randy Forbes
Vintage Karting items owned: McCulloch R1 #R1 3505 3144

Post by Randy Forbes » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:53 pm

Hi Scott,
Thanks. Wait until you see what I'm up to next... http://www.rfdm.com/gallery/album112 I placed the tubing order yesterday, so by the end of next week, I should have something to show.

As much as I would've liked to have (either) the plastic or rubber coating, I took the easy way out and a guy is sewing a leather cover for it. First time anyone requested that the leather resemble plastic/rubber; he's used to doing leather parts for BMWs. Once I get it back, I'll add those pictures to the album and link to it from one of the message boards.

Mark Havery
Vintage Karting items owned: Poison Arrow, Chaparral, McCulloch R-1
Dart Mean Machine and the "Mongrel Kart"

Post by Mark Havery » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:26 pm

Randy,
After the work is done to the steering wheel, where do you go to get it properly vinyl dipped?
I have a great wheel that all the vinyl has come off.
Thanks,
Mark Havery