Kart Storage in a cold winter

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Dick Teal
Vintage Karting items owned: 1959 Mak-Kart, 1960Fox 60L, 1961 Fox (2), 1962 Fox, 1963 Fox, 1964 Fox, Margay New Breed
User Agreement: Yes

Kart Storage in a cold winter

Post by Dick Teal » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:12 pm

I could use a little help on how to store my karts for winter.

I live in central Wisconsin where we have snow and cold weather. My trailer is stored inside a non-heated building; the trailer is insulated but I'm sure that it will get below freezing inside the trailer on many days and there is no humidity control. Here's the question; what kind of problems will I have with the karts with engines or without the engines if I leave them in the trailer?

My other option is to store the karts in a heated basement area but space is limited. My best idea so far is to hang them from the front end by a rope and pulley system. I would pull the front end off of the ground and the rear of the kart would roll on the tires until the rear bumper almost comes in contact with the floor. I'm thinking of some kind of dolley that fits under the bumper and rolls after the rear tires come off of the floor and the kart is in a vertical position. The problems I need to overcome are damage to the paint on the bumper as it rotates and what rollers or castor wheels to use.

If someone has a system like this or some other idea I sure could use pictures or a discription of how you made it.

Thanks,

Dick Teal

REAR

Re: Kart Storage in a cold winter

Post by REAR » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:49 am

Dick ,

If your using a castor based or added oil run your motors on a pure sythetic blend [KLOTZ KL-200] for a few minutes to flush the castor out. Castor is a great lube but it hardens and gums.

Now, if the boss [wife] will let you store inside go for it but remember to watch for fumes and flames.

Wash the kart with a mild grease cutting soap then wipe it down lightly with WD-40 and lube the chain as usual. Then drain all fuel completely, now place a piece of plastic under the gas cap and screw it back on. This will prevent the tank from venting into the house.

Try using some old rugs or blankets and double them up and put them under the R.E.A.R. bumper then stand the front of the kart on a wall. The rugs-blankets will protect your paint job and it will allow the kart the slide around for ease of movement.

Hope this helps...Bob

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:48 am

I flush my engines with Marvel Mistery Oil mixed with gas at 10oz per gallon.
You can take a piece of rubber tube and slit it and cover the REAR bumper and secure it with tie wraps.

I like the house idea but have had no problems in my storage unit outside. I keep my upholstery inside the house so it don't crack. I also block the carb and exhaust so little vermon can't get in. These karts have spent many years in barns, gargaes etc.... and a few more won't hurt them. I just worry when the temps change and the buildings sweat in the spring. Concrete sweats and makes it humid and then you get rust. Keep air moving and you won't have a problem.

Dick Teal
Vintage Karting items owned: 1959 Mak-Kart, 1960Fox 60L, 1961 Fox (2), 1962 Fox, 1963 Fox, 1964 Fox, Margay New Breed
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Dick Teal » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:19 pm

Guys,

Thanks for the ideas; I'll probably wind up storing some in the trailer and a couple in the shop area. The ones in the shop will be what I plan to run at TBO next year.

Thanks again,

Dick Teal

Don Distel

Post by Don Distel » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:49 am

I've heard of a few guy's putting a light in thier trailer's when they store there motorcycle's for the winter . They say it help's quite a bit whih the condensation . :idea:
Don