The Fantastic '4'

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

ted johnson

Re: The Fantastic '4'

Post by ted johnson » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:00 am

Hi, Jeff. The 1000 - 1020 - 1050 series of Homelites seem to go great in vintage saw competition, so they/re getting harder to find. A tree had fallen on this one, so I had to find a crankcase. Hank Rotroff had a C-5 case, and kindly sent it to me. The C-5 has a shorter stroke, so I spent a lot of time relieving the case for the high strength rod bolts I found. I spent maybe 30 hours cutting, sawing, gnawing and sanding off all the chainsaw protrusions for the bar, handle, tank and oil reservoir, plus I had to hand make a cylinder shroud, modify the piston and make what Hank calls a "Johnson Ring" for the upper groove. I put a completely worn out ring in the bottom groove for less wall drag. Anyway, it was worth it-I actually think it'll run O.K. once the carb problems are solved.. Thanks to Acres Internet for all the specs. Thanks for the interest! Ted

Jeff Campbell
Site Admin
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Fox Go-Boy MC20's
Robron Chaparral dual MC101
Margay Cheetah MKIII

Post by Jeff Campbell » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:01 am

Ted,
So, how similar are the Homelite XP-1000 through XP-1120 motors to the KL-100 karting motors?

Jeff

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:02 pm

Hi, Jeff. They're not really very similar. The KL100 had the cylinder twisted on the case like the 82 and 92, whereas the 1000 series is more like a Mac with the port transfer passages in line with the rod throw. The engine lays flat on the saw like a Mac does. They have 2 rectangular exhaust ports and a more traditional 2-screw exhaust stack. The transfer ports are about .438 square, and the passages have an actual inner closed off side like a Mac instead of the inside of the passage being the piston itself. They use a single pyramid reed, and it's a beast getting through that 1-1/2" Dia. hole to install the rod! The clutch hub screws onto the PTO of the shaft with a 1/2" L.H. thread, so you're forced to cut the saw sprocket off the drum and weld on a #35 sprocket. I do believe that the engine will run O.K. once the carb hassles are solved. If we can get that fixed, I may try to get the cylinder 9-ported and re-chromed/nickasiled. With the manifold I designed for the big Mac reed, there's plenty of intake area there. Anyhow, it was fun to build! Ted