Correct tension ???

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

mcbob
Vintage Karting items owned: Everything Mac but a Kart but who know's ?

Re: Correct tension ???

Post by mcbob » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:37 am

louie figone wrote:McBob, Bonbright recommends 105-110 in. lbs. torque on the new type rod (ARP) bolts. They can be re-used many times. Loctite not required but can be used. Lube the threads if you don't use the Loctite. Dave checks his email about every two weeks.

Louie
Thanks Louie pity Dave doesn't check them a bit more often as i have written quite a few times with no responce ............. Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Mc Bob.

Butch Kavanagh

Re: Correct tension ???

Post by Butch Kavanagh » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:47 pm

we all have our idea's on torque, my dad, slight drops end threads and torque 85-90lbs, never use rod bolts agn but we used stock bolts, no probs breaking bolts, i know this does not answer your question on your 'special' rod bolts but how about a 1 piece rod-2piece crank. just for conversation, fall 1969, , bud stahl-ohio and his son ran b-limited and c-open, mostly on a local basis and ran fast, son lost interest but his dad came to me that fall and my last engine wb#11, he had an idea. we used a 1-piece rod, 2-piece crank(like all foreign engines) and it worked, stroke was close cause piston location and use of head gasket. rember, i am not a national caliber driver, but we finished all 3heats and we could see their exhaust. this engine ran at navarre-dart kart speedway(ohio), competitive tracks. when the snow came bud took his rod and crank back. it was fun for 3months, actually advanced timing to 30degrees. bud, after knowing he had something-retired-, he is a member of our 'local' hall of fame. can't place a torque value on him