Moderator: Rob Voska

Bob Towarnicki
Vintage Karting items owned: 65 Alley Kat Mc91
Narrow Hoop A Bone Mc91B
Various restoration projects
User Agreement: Yes

60 Bug Wasp

Post by Bob Towarnicki » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:43 pm

I need some help restoring a 60 Bug Wasp. I figured with the one on EBAy giving such good pictures to work from I would ask a few questions. First I am missing the pedals. Are the ones shown on the EBAY Kart original? I hope so as they look easy enough to reproduce. Second, the steering wheel and shaft. My kart appears to have been painted the same color as the Kart, the EBAY kart looks chromed. Which way did the kart come? Third, what width rear axle? I have the Hands wheels but not the axle. Finally of course I don't have the Palmini brake. Would the Airheart mechanical brake be period correct? If not, what else would let me get it running and be period correct? I note the seat cushions on the EBAY Kart appear to be an enhancement. The upholstery on my example appears original and does not have side pads or a jewel guard.
Thanks for your help,
Bob

ted johnson

Re: 60 Bug Wasp

Post by ted johnson » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:40 am

Hi, Bob. The sheet-and-rod pedals were what came standard on the early Wasp. Faye's pedals as an option came later. The chrome 3-spoke wheel was exactly as came on my Pop's '60 Wasp. The painted version came on the "Standard" model, as did the lack of side pads. The "Deluxe" had side and jewell pads. The ones we sold had the side pads, though we sold at least one with the metallic blue painted wheel. Is your frame drilled for the side pad and jewell pad snap screws? If it came without the pads, the frame shouldn't be drilled. Also, some very early Wasps came with the upholstery secured with chomed Phillips oval head screws and chromed stamped trim washers rather than snaps. The 3-spoke wheels weren't always jigged with perfectly radial spokes, so if yours look a bit cockeyed, they're probably correct! There were a number of upholstery options, and though I haven't seen the one as in the auction, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it was original. All ours had the flat upholstery with edge beading. I never saw a Bug with an Airheart brake in the day, but the little Bug mechanical disc unit came along in late '60, so if you can find one of those you would be closer to correct. If you can find only the caliper, I can furnish a CAD drawing of the bracket so you can have the bracket machined. Sorry I can't help with axle length - I can't remember! Good luck. Ted

Bob Towarnicki
Narrow Hoop A Bone Mc91B

Post by Bob Towarnicki » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:29 am

Ted,
Thanks for the insights. Also Dan Flanders thanks for the e-mail. It looks like I have the standard version of the wasp without side pads or jewel guard. The frame is not drilled. I still need guidance on axle width. From pictures it looks like the rear track is slightly wider than the front. Sounds like I'll use a Azusa/Bendix drum. Does anyone know when the Airheart mechanical brake appeared. I would prefer that if it was available back in the early 60s.
Thanks,
Bob

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:23 pm

The old kart tests were in lots of Hot Rod and Kart magazines. Can probably find rear axle or track length there.

John Swartout
Vintage Karting items owned: 1960 Percival Hellcat
1961 Thunderblitz
1961 Fox Go-Boy

Post by John Swartout » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:18 pm

Hello Bob,

The Nov. 1960 issue of Karting World Magazine has kart test #14 Bug Kart as having a front tread width of 31 inches, and rear tread of 35 inches.

John

Terry Sullivan
Vintage Karting items owned: 4 Bugs, including the Wasp bought by my Dad in 1959. Many Clintons and a few Macs

Post by Terry Sullivan » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:17 pm

I have a Bug brochure that list the track as 31/36. I'll see if I can attach it here.
I have a few Wasps in the barn. I would love to see pictures of your project.

Terry
Attachments
Pettite2.JPG
(554.71 KiB) Downloaded 109 times

Bob Towarnicki
Narrow Hoop A Bone Mc91B

Post by Bob Towarnicki » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:25 pm

Terry,
I'll get a few pictures tomorrow and try posting them. It is a little rough with extra steel here and there that needs to come off.
Bob

Tom Smith
Vintage Karting items owned: 1960/61 Go Kart 800 Konig FA
1961 Max-Torque Special triple
1962 Max-Torque Special dual

Post by Tom Smith » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:57 am

I did a little research on 60 Bug Wasps and picked up several of them to check out for restoring but was able to convince myself they weren't worth the amount of work it would have taken to restore. I never read the Hot Rod magazine test text, but from looking at the front and rear view pictures of the Wasp with dual Mc-5s in the test article I'd be interested in knowing where they put the gas in it to test it.
Attachments
60HRBugTest_3.jpg
(1.03 MiB) Downloaded 185 times
60HRBugTest_2.jpg
(520.2 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
60HRBugTest_1.jpg
(678.42 KiB) Downloaded 98 times

Tom Smith
Vintage Karting items owned: 1960/61 Go Kart 800 Konig FA
1961 Max-Torque Special triple
1962 Max-Torque Special dual

Post by Tom Smith » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:44 pm

IMG_0082.JPG
(623.54 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
All the 1960 Bug Wasps I've seen have had the Palmini juice brake. I think the 61 Bugs may have had the Grant mechanical brake. Palmini brakes have a reputation of working ok for a few laps until the brake fluid gets cooked. Here's one on a Wasp with 2 of the 3 nuts still holding it on no less.

Jeff Elliott

Post by Jeff Elliott » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:08 pm

I have a near perfect unrestored 60-61 Wasp with twin Mc20 but I need the Palmini brake anyone have one? I have cash or parts to trade. Thanks Jeff