Frank Payne's repro Mc steering wheel medalions...

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Randy Forbes
Vintage Karting items owned: McCulloch R1 #R1 3505 3144
User Agreement: Yes

Frank Payne's repro Mc steering wheel medalions...

Post by Randy Forbes » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:57 am

Finally had time to play with these recently. I bought two (2) but have only painted one (1) so far; wanting to see the results before commiting both to the same process.

After thoroughly cleaning the part to remove all traces of mold release, I sprayed the inside with a few light coats of Testor's aerosol gloss black (modeler's) paint. The paint is so thin, that it runs off the raised letters and borders. This is a good thing!

Held up to the light, you can see how little work is required to prepare for the next step:

Same image with high resolution: http://www.rfdm.com/albums/album105/IMG_5408.jpg

Frank recommends using an X-acto knife to scrape the paint off the lettering and borders, but I used a 1/2" round rubberized abrasive stick (same one I do engine-turned finishes with). While undoubtedly slower, it gave me more control (and confidence) and the result is very good.

Next step is to paint the lettering and borders so they show up when installed on the steering wheel. Again, several coats were required. Here, Frank suggests either white or gold paint, so I'm not certain which would be correct. I didn't have either of those colors anyway, but I did have some silver! Several coats were required before light would not pass through.

High resolution: http://www.rfdm.com/albums/album105/IMG_5410.jpg

The finished article. As much as I'd like to display this on my R1, I don't have either the medalion retainer nor the proper steering wheel, but all that is about to change in the next couple weeks...

High resolution: http://www.rfdm.com/albums/album105/IMG_5412.jpg

All in all, while not perfect, I'm pleased with the outcome. If I keep the kart above 40 MPH, you'll never know it isn't an original piece ;)

A BIG THANK YOU to Frank Payne for undertaking the task to have these made. My R1 was missing it altogether, so I wouldn't have had any medalion at all for the finished look.

Bob Towarnicki
Vintage Karting items owned: 65 Alley Kat Mc91
Narrow Hoop A Bone Mc91B
Various restoration projects

Re: Frank Payne's repro Mc steering wheel medalions...

Post by Bob Towarnicki » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:30 pm

Randy,
Nice job. After seeing your efforts I called Frank to buy a couple, only to find out I was too late! He doesn't have anymore. I talked with him two years ago at The Big One and never followed up. Your efforts motivated me. Oh well I always procrastinate.
Bob

Randy Forbes
Vintage Karting items owned: McCulloch R1 #R1 3505 3144

Re: Frank Payne's repro Mc steering wheel medalions...

Post by Randy Forbes » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:47 am

Bob Towarnicki wrote:Randy,
Nice job. After seeing your efforts I called Frank to buy a couple, only to find out I was too late! He doesn't have anymore. I talked with him two years ago at The Big One and never followed up. Your efforts motivated me. Oh well I always procrastinate.
Bob
Thanks!

I had heard where the last two (2) or three (3) went, so I suppose I should've mentioned there weren't any left in my opening post. I'll bet Frank is cursing me for generating all the interest now, after sitting on those things for several years... :oops: