AH 81 as a Kart Engine

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

mcbob
Vintage Karting items owned: Everything Mac but a Kart but who know's ?

AH 81 as a Kart Engine

Post by mcbob » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:32 am

What was the AH 81 Kart engine like as i see little mention of them ??

Mc Bob.

ted johnson

Re: AH 81 as a Kart Engine

Post by ted johnson » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:45 am

Hey to the land down under! The AH-81 was somewhat fragile, especially in the lower cylinder casting. It suffered from poor breathing, mostly due to the transfer ports being charged thru (2) 15/16" holes in the piston skirt. The reed area is very limited, though manifolds have beeh made using dual Homelite, West Bend or Go Power reed cages. The flywheel side crankcase seal is a joke. Very small and almost impossible to find, though there are guys here who bore the case and use a better seal. The case is very fragile, and often breaks when you're trying to remove the seal. The cylinder head is integral with the barrel, making it difficult to bore or to modify. All these negatives having been said, the engines are RARE and sell for big bucks. Also, fellows like Hank Rotroff have done wonders with making them run very competitively indeed! His Fox with dual PP-82's flies. You might email him at: hankrotroff@yahoo.com He is a great guy, and knows bunches more than I about the PP-81. Good luck, McBob! Ted J.

mcbob

Post by mcbob » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:21 pm

I have one that is of the AH81 in a Mobilco chainsaw hanging in my shed and concidered pulling the engine out of it and putting in a different and better frame but maybe it's better off left where it is.

Mc Bob

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:39 am

Good morning, McBob! That conclusion may be right as far as the saw is concerned, but there are a few guys out there that would like to have it on a kart! The saw might sell well on eBay. G'day! TJ

mcbob

Post by mcbob » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:12 am

Your proberly right Ted best left hanging on a hook at my place as part of my saw collection as shipping to the States is not cheap.

Mc Bob.

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:19 am

Hi, Bob. Yep, best to stick with the Big Macs and the Benders! There's a guy about 60 miles from here in a tiny New Mexico town who owns a hardware store. He has a collection of saws sitting on a high shelf that runs the length of the store. There's a Mono with an AH-81 there that looks almost like new. I'd love to have it, but he won't even discuss selling it. Keep yours as a rare saw to look at! The best - Ted