Mac 101 Starter - Recoil / Cup????

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Scott Kneisel
Vintage Karting items owned: '63 Rupp Grand Prix, 66 Rupp Chappy, Mc6's, Mc8, Mc10's, Mc20's
Lotsa' other Macs
User Agreement: Yes

Mac 101 Starter - Recoil / Cup????

Post by Scott Kneisel » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:47 pm

Hi,
I just finished the re-biuld of my first Mc101A.
This is my first 101, I have built several mac's both standard and super and after finishing it and bolting on a GEM starter cup, I realized that it does not stick out far enough from the flywheel cover to get the starter belt on.

So here is my question:
Are there special extended cups for 101 only? If so, where can I get one.

A rewind starter might be an option but it looks like a standard one may not fit although I have not tried as yet. I have a couple std mac rewinds and could use them if the fit.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I'm a 101 novice!!

Scott

Rob Voska

Re: Mac 101 Starter - Recoil / Cup????

Post by Rob Voska » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:20 pm

101's use a longer starter cup. The starter is also longer on a pull starter.

mcbob
Vintage Karting items owned: Everything Mac but a Kart but who know's ?

Post by mcbob » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:48 pm

All the Mac reed engines used the same basic recoil starter with the engagement dog being different on the 101's so swapping them around is easy if you can locate both lengths of engagement dogs.

Mc Bob.

Jeff Campbell
Site Admin
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Fox Go-Boy MC20's
Robron Chaparral dual MC101
Margay Cheetah MKIII

Post by Jeff Campbell » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:02 pm

... skip the recoil starter idea, it's brutal trying to start a 101 with a recoil, if it doesn't kick back and almost rip your arm off, you will be too tired to drive the kart after finally getting it started! There are long MC101 starter pullies floating around the small diameter billet ones seem most available, but you need a good torque electric starter to spin (a weak starter motor or battery might not spin it well). I use a gear reduction starter motor with full size car battery, and the small diameter long billet pullies on my 101's .... here watch the beginning of this clip, where I am getting a start on my dual MC101 Chaparral at TBO last year!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXldiL7wcQI

I attached 2 photos, one is the big diameter GEM type cast MC101 starter cup, and the other is the billet small diameter MC101 starter cup (I believe APPCO used to make many of these billet cups in the mid 70's)

FYI - the fan shroud is wider on the 101's, that is why you need the longer pulley or recoil. If need be, a standard super engine shroud (pre MC101) can be put on, and then you don't need the longer pulley or recoil (could get you by temporarily, I've done it).

and remember, all the videos from TBO last year are on this page...
http://rearenginekarts.com/video%20-%20 ... 202007.htm

Jeff
Attachments
p7.jpg
(52.68 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
p3.jpg
(37.85 KiB) Downloaded 208 times