Repairing a Stroker Crank

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

mcbob
Vintage Karting items owned: Everything Mac but a Kart but who know's ?

Repairing a Stroker Crank

Post by mcbob » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:48 pm

Well fellas i might get you's to do me a favor have a look at the photo below and tell me if the crank might be able to be repaired as i only get grief out here in OZ and maybe you could let me know and where i can get it done.

The rod journal has been needled and when i asked around out here they said that rebuilding it using chrome was out of the question as that type of repair would only rollup and fail as it doesn't suit needle rollers.

Mc Bob.

Rob Voska

Re: Repairing a Stroker Crank

Post by Rob Voska » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:53 pm

Grind undersize.....can kinda make a little bit of a stroker, have hard chromed .010 larger than you need, have reground to size. it won't be cheap but it's the only way I know how to do it.

We used to hard chrome clutch drums.......it's harsh but held up well.

Tom Luttenbacher
Vintage Karting items owned: Dart A Bone, Neal, LeeKart, Lancer, GoKart 800's, Simplex, Blitz.
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Tom Luttenbacher » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:02 pm

Mcbob/Rob, I went thru this awhile ago. Here's what I was..key word here..going to do; take crank to heat treat and have it annealed or softened, then heli-arc journel, then have it ground to correct dia. needed, then back to heat treat for re-hardening. Only problem was no one that I could find had the grinding/sanding belt/wheel narrow enough to get in between the crank throws! Needless to say project shelved. TL

mcbob
Vintage Karting items owned: Everything Mac but a Kart but who know's ?

Post by mcbob » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:56 am

The fellas i spoke with out here in OZ mostly had different ideas but they all mainly said that with the use of needle rollers they couldn't garrantee the job.

Mc Bob

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:15 am

In life what is?