Moderator: Rob Voska

matt azzara
Vintage Karting items owned: Robron A-Bone- WB 820
Dart GP
Go Kart 1200
User Agreement: Yes

airheart brake relining

Post by matt azzara » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:56 pm

I haven't done any work on the Airheart disc brakes until now but I ran into a problem after installing new pads- with the 'anvil' pad in place, theres not enough clearance left to install the main caliper. Everything locks up, even though the caliper piston is fully compressed. The anvil pad is pretty thick, does it need to be ground down, or do I need to make a spacer between the anvil and main caliper? Is one commercially available? I'm using 1.5" series '150' pads, bought from Comet Kart sales. HELP!!!! THX, Matt Azzara

matt azzara

Private messageE-mail

Rob Voska

Re: airheart brake relining

Post by Rob Voska » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:01 pm

They make shims.

Rick Chapman
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Bantam B-Bomb, 77' Hornet Enduro, 79' Hornet Wishbone Sprint, 1962 Blitz F-1000
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Rick Chapman » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:13 pm

Although most people will tell you to shim, I ground mine down on a disk grinder. A little off both the piston side and the fixed side. If I were racing the kart, I suppose I would shim.. Just a thought...
I Never Thought I'd Be Vintage !!

Jeff Campbell
Site Admin
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Fox Go-Boy MC20's
Robron Chaparral dual MC101
Margay Cheetah MKIII

Post by Jeff Campbell » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:52 am

buy the steel spacers, lots of them, depending on the pads and your brake disk thickness, you could end up using up to 5 Airheart spacers (that is what I have on a kart I just put brakeman pads in, they are a thicker pad for longer life).

You will find the hard to find Airheart p/n on the brake bracket drawing notes, pick a drawing at the bottom of this page:

http://rearenginekarts.com/h_a%20brake%20project.htm

then call up Tol-O-Matic, cause you won't find that part online: http://www.airheart-brakes.com/

Jeff