Squaring a Chassis

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Tom Luttenbacher
Vintage Karting items owned: Dart A Bone, Neal, LeeKart, Lancer, GoKart 800's, Simplex, Blitz.
User Agreement: Yes

Squaring a Chassis

Post by Tom Luttenbacher » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:43 pm

For lack of a better way to describe what I am tryig to find out! Measuring from the rear axle to the king pin straps on both sides I get a 1/4 inch difference. Measuring from the axle to other frame points it appears the axle is square with the frame. By the way I beleive this is a BrandX/Rupp. It to me appears the right front axle/king pin needs pulled/pushed forward to make the measurements match(square). No amount of tie rod adjustments brought the measurements the same on each side. Any one have some input, I would appreciate it. Tom

Rob Voska

Re: Squaring a Chassis

Post by Rob Voska » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:50 am

Went thru 3 karts this winter. None were the same side to side but were usually within 3/16". A few years ago I also made a pusher from a piece of tube and threaded rod and some angle. Welded the angle on one end of the tube and threaded rod like a V block. Slid them together with a nut and washer and used it to push a chassis back where I wanted it. It fit from the seat side support to the front axle and wedged itself in position. Great thing was it was slow and easy to control. I also try to measure the "X" from the bottom side of the chassis.